9/4/08

thinking


Today I composed work for a change. It never really dawned on me to take pictures of some of the scrap stuff that I use in my mixed media pieces and make it into its own art. I love these tiles, earlier this year I made a clock with some. I have that clock hanging on the wall in the living area along with five others all lined up vertically from ceiling to floor and let me tell you they make quite a statement. The tile clock in particular pops out at me and I am always visually quenched when I glance at it. Today I decided to grab some more of the tiles and just go for it. I can already picture this photograph hanging in one of my round pieces.

An update: The defunct photo lab owner has gotten in touch with me and is available to print out of his home!!! I'm still tempted to get that printer but my brain is in conflict with my wallet. EPSON has two, count em TWO rebates totalling $150 so I could get that 13" for under $400. I know paper and ink and trial and error will cost and honestly it isn't that much, but it is when I'm still paying off debt and haven't even begun to save for the fateful day tod and I leave this house. Once again rumors have come our way that the house could be on the chopping block. It is stressful and I never feel relaxed or safe here but I have to keep moving, keep working and stay busy and out of my head.

I'm starting to wonder if I should bother printing cards or something. I don't like the idea still of making little things that really waste more ink, more paper and mean nothing to me (I'm not a card sender or a buyer of anything per se) but more and more I am leaning towards trying to make some money on my own, with art being the resource rather than spending all that time out there working for someone else. I've been made aware of some people on EBAY who sell scrappy stuff like old pulleys or little wheels, the very things I have in my studio. I have to wonder if it really ads up and is worth it, and if it is can I get excited about it instead of worrying I'm just putting more crap into people's lives. Sometimes it's hard enough to justify making art when I get in one of my minimal moods.

11 comments:

Mary Buek said...

Great piece, Paula. Hope you get the printer.

BlueJude said...

The photo is GREAT art in itself! Yeah, "trying to stay out of my head" here too. It's awful when you feel so unsettled. As far as the printer, if it's gonna give you more anxiety over spending the mone...well, put it off till the time feels right. OK just my two cents. Happy Friday STA!

sarala said...

If it helps you support yourself and your art don't obsess about whether the other person is going to use it to clutter up his/her life. That is their problem. Maybe you should give the EBay thing a try. Think of it as recycling someone else's trash.

sarala said...

BTW love the tile.

self taught artist said...

love the feedback on the tile photo
thanks!
printers and stuff for sale still swimming through my head...

Steve Kane said...

Ah, love those tiles, too: all asymmetrical and raggedy and textured.

I've just sold £80 worth of DVDs on ebay (that's about $150, I think). At first I felt sad about parting with some of my hoard but when I saw the money I was quickly consoled!

lee said...

hi Paula....
hows things, hows the work..
thanks for the comment, not sure what you meant though..?
it'll rack my brain all day wondering:)
oh i got a 9800 44" epson really cool:)

Daphne Enns said...

Until you're comfortable with the trial and error involved in printing for yourself,go with the printing guy.

By the way I am really impressed with your stick-to-it-ness. Practicing art obviously has rewards but there are so many obstacles that can get us to throw up our arms and say that that's it! No more personal and financial struggle! Or at least perhaps less struggle and yet you keep doing it. You should give yourself a pat on the back once in a while.

lee said...

oh right... am well I've been busy doing work, can you really not see the painting.. pity that ah well not to worry, it is, it is a huge printer... but the results are really amazing....

self taught artist said...

daphne, thank you thank you
it mean s a lot to me what you said.

gigi said...

I am late to the party but this is a really cool photo. great texture but then again that is the essence of your work. :)