9/3/08

Prints

The time has come. While I would like to get a 24" Epson Printer, I'm not up for the $3,000 price tag, or rolled paper and ink costs. Looks like I am going for the 13" printer. Looks like I can get it for under $500. This feels like a good investment especially since I'm not having any luck finding someone to print my work right now.

The print guy who went out of business has put up a message that he is available for giclee printing jobs, out of his home I am guessing, which I'm excited about BUT he has yet to return a phone call or email. I'm sure he has much on his plate but we all know I'm impatient right? I will still need him for large prints but for now I can start making my own smaller ones. The new place I went to isn't really as available as I need, they appear to have vague hours and vague help, it has already been frustrating and fruitless just trying to find things out. I'm not exactly a left brained person so of course I didn't retain any of our conversation about price and paper ~ Tod called to find out and couldn't find out ANYTHING from the assistant who said the owner wasn't in, which means for that day I wouldn't even be able to get work done. I just wanted to pop in and have a test print made to go home and match it up with my monitor. It made me realize I need to do what I can to be more self sufficient.

While a 13" printer seems pretty dinky and I have to admit I was thinking getting the 17"' was a big compromise when my eyeball was set on the 24" machine; I can see that most of my prints that have sold are on the smallish side. I have yet to sell one of my larger mixed media prints so maybe this is smarter than I think. Ideally I will have a small printer and then a large printer as it makes no sense to print a 12x18 on a 24" machine and waste paper. Stuff like this always intimidates me since I have a hard time understanding the ins and outs of how things work. Luckily Tod actually likes looking into this stuff and has a better grasp of technology than I do, I think this will be a good investment and pay for itself rather swiftly.

6 comments:

Daphne Enns said...

Best of luck. I draw a blank with tech things and yet I seem to use it anyway. I'm just not fast or efficient. Oddly enough I was going to ask if you could ask Tod to explain something to me today. But before I pull out the favors I'll work at it a bit more.

I'm looking forward to hearing what you end up using in terms of printer, ink and paper.

Lisa said...

good luck with the purchase and setup of your new printer. I find the entire image process a bit much - doesn't really sink into my brain - so I know where you are coming from.

Daniel Sroka said...

I strongly recommend sticking with a 13" printer, and outsourcing all larger prints. (Unless you get a steady income from larger prints.) If you are looking for high quality printers, and can't find any in your area, I have two I have used and highly recommend:

http://site.booksmartstudio.com/
http://www.exclusiveartservice.com

San said...

That does look like a good investment, Paula. I'm excited for you!

I'm celebrating my birthday. LONG post. LONG playlist. Song dedications, two of which are for you.

self taught artist said...

thanks for the links dan and advice about outsourcing larger prints. tod kind of came to that same conclusion but its good to hear from a photographer too.
i'm excited too, hope the learning curve isn't too steep!

Daniel Sroka said...

Yeah, the learning curve is steep. The basics are easy to pick up, but getting better requires lots of practice. You got to be ready to use up ink and paper to get good. (Can't learn to drive a car that you keep in the garage.)