9/24/08

maybe i'm just a moron

I'm not going to out right link to these blogs because I'd rather not them come here and see what a moron I am. Deborah F and Ed W. Lately, especially W, these two have written blogs that somehow keep my interest even though honestly I don't really know half of what they are saying. I read these blogs with interest because they sound important and frankly they've grown on me. I admire Deborah as an artist but always get lost when she starts talking about I don't know what; and while mostly I would probably say 'hello w----' much like jerry seinfeld would say hello to newman the postman in the hallway for reasons unknown to me, he too has grown on me.

It is that political time of year. It is a time when quite simply put there is seemingly chaos aiming arrows everywhere in the marketplace. I read their blogs and come back to mine and think WTF do I have to say? Me and my here's a clock theres a clock. I woke up sour. I woke up sour because I stayed up and watched Anderson Cooper and Larry King. Listening to some interpreter translating for the Iranian President, who by the way had such an awful voice [the translator not the president] all I could do was focus on that instead of hear what he was saying....I wouldn't have understood it anyways I'm sure. Watching the bulldog with lipstick. Looking at characters that Hollywood couldn't make up. Watching commercials during the breaks that jumped to drugs for our health that will kill us and the 09 cars that STILL ONLY GIVE US THE OPTION OF 30 M.P.G.! Overwhelm. Overload. Etsy creepsys up, Ebay creeps up. Stuff. Control control control. Buy buy buy. Sell sell sell. Green this green that. It just makes me loathe everything and everyone including myself. I don't have whatever filter one needs to let this stuff roll off of me. I don't have the logical brain to understand half of it. I do know that something in me feels like I should look around, take a sniff at whatever shit is floating around and beware. Shouldn't I?

When will I give myself permission to go into that studio, close the door and ignore everything? Can I do that? In a way I already am. I haven't done and don't do half of what the 'norm' does. Never had health insurance, don't go to doctors, have no ties with most of the people from my past, don't go shopping for anything but food and bare necessities. Never had kids never got married no 401K no retirement no house never voted (I will this year). I'd take a guess that most everyone who reads this blog has done all of the above (except you steve). Anyhow, that's my rant for the day. I'm going in there now to see if the rest of my cold weld took last night. That's the most important thing I've got going. Maybe that's why my blog has 12 readers, how many people could possibly be interested in what I have to say?

10 comments:

sarala said...

I'm here and I think I am smart and interesting (on a good day). It's not the number of friends you have it's the quality. Readers too.
The recent politics make me ill also. And I'm more mainstream than you are if you use your criteria for mainstream--married, kids, votes, etc.

Evenspor said...

It sounds to me like you define "norm" as anything that's not you. You probably have a lot more in common with a lot more people than you let yourself believe.

Nellie's Needles said...

Well, your blog is at the top of my reading list no matter how you feel about what you have ... or don't have ... to say.

The Minimalist said...

Are you kidding me? You're my favorite minimalist! Maybe it's time for a new clock.... one that chimes it's time for a new president! Make it your patriotic duty to get into that studio. Larry King's a pervert.

artjas said...

I think it's great that you share your thoughts the way you do. I for one can relate to you dayly adventures.

self taught artist said...

shara, glad i'm not alone :)
evenspor, youre right, i guess i just dont know more of those kinds of people.
nellie! you are still lurking...i thought you disappeared!
hey minimalist,if larry king is a pervert? then what does that make his guests?
...i'm working on a series of little clocks just in time before the world runs out of money.
artjas, thanks for stopping by!

*mo said...

your post actually made me laugh a little this morning, i could just picture you cringing every time the interpreter opened their mouth...
i haven't done 3 of the 4 "normal" things on your list...not yet anyway....besides we don't get 401Ks here in canada. maybe that makes us ALL rebels :)
come join us!

self taught artist said...

welcome to the club *mo!

artistsjournal said...

This is just brilliant and made me smile. You are not alone in a whole bunch of this. Unlike you, I do have some kids and a house, but I'm very much like you in a lot of other ways. I scream at the TV instead of just turning it off. I too have great difficulty shutting out all the absurdities. Matt Damon is right. Who could make all this stuff up?

self taught artist said...

i'm glad someone thinks my rants are brilliant, what a relief!