9/28/08

blinders on, ready to go

Right now I'm focusing on my first ever tiny edition of clocks that are all going to be as close to exactly the same as possible. I plan on auctioning one of them on the blog when all ten of them are completed. This is a very small edition I realize but that's exactly how many I could squeeze out of the found objects that will be used. These yet to be named clocks will also be considerably lower in price than my other clocks.

So the blinders are on. Less thought about what is going on 'out there'. I'm curious the outcome if I can keep allowing myself to go inward and stop the thoughts, the distractions, the voices and judgments and just stick with the doing of art. It's easy to let the economy and everything else that is going on rattle me. We were supposed to have a Realtor show the house we care take for today. I'm barely making $50-100 a week with the taxi gig. I feel the freak often...the jittery how will I make it if I have to move to a shit hole apartment, where will I put all my art tools and supplies. blah blah blah.

I had a little epiphany today talking to Tod. I was voicing that I equated less sales this year with less success. He constantly points out how my skill set, creativity and growth as an artist has continued to evolve and that is where I am successful. I had always just looked at the bottom line: $$. I get it. Today I finally heard it and realized my 'success' is right here on the walls of my living room. I just need to keep making art, keep doing the work and know the time will come and when it does, I will have the goods made.

There is nothing I can do to change the world except to keep changing me.

3 comments:

Steve Kane said...

Today I finally heard it and realized my 'success' is right here on the walls of my living room. I just need to keep making art...

Well, duh. :)

sarala said...

Tell us more about these little clocks. Are any made yet? Any pics?

self taught artist said...

yes, I've got two done! I'm actually using restraint and waiting til they are all done to post about it. which means, i will email you a picture since you asked ;)