9/16/08

being grateful

UNBELIEVABLE! Today when I took my prints in to have them sent off for lamination, I was talking about prints and the woman said, 'hey! you want to be more self sufficient, I have a printer I don't need. I bought it last year for $900, you can have it for $350. The guy I bought it from takes great care of his machines and might even be able to tutor you'. I was incredulous and just gaped at her. She went on to tell me she needs the space and doesn't use it enough to warrant keeping it. She even showed me giclees she has made of her own artwork and the colors look great. I couldn't believe my ears! Just a few weeks ago I was looking at printers and thinking I really want a 17" but should only get a 13" because of the price. My heart said 17 my wallet said 13. Ultimately I decided to put it on hold since I was able to get a hold of the guy who does my prints (he closed shop for anyone reading this who didn't know).

It's an EPSON 4000 17" 8 cartridge printer. I've checked them out online and they appear to be workhorses. After talking a bit with Dan about printers I also was feeling like I might be in over my head but it is doable if I'm willing to climb that curve and use paper and ink up as well as learn new photo editing programs. It feels right. Feels smart to at least start learning how to do this. I LOVE my current printer guy, he does great work and I plan on using him for large prints as well as finishing up some of my editions, but heck I can't pass this deal up can I?

This has got me reflecting. I have gotten some pretty amazing help these few short years I've entered into the art world. The woman who wants to sell me the printer told me flat out she wants to help me. She believes in me and wants to give me a deal just to help out. As it is she doesn't charge me anything but her at cost price to have my photos laminated onto the MDF board. She gets NOTHING when I bring my work in.

And I cannot EVER forget last year when I was contacted online via someone who lives out of town who had oodles of interesting things to offer me. To this day when I use something I got from this person I just send fat gobs of gratitude their way. There have been a handful of people out there that have allowed me to gobble up 'useless' objects and turn them into my form of gold. There have people out there that have allowed me to rummage through their crap and take what I want from their farms. I may not be rich $$ wise but I have to look back and think none of this would be possible if those people hadn't been selfless. Just last week I got a new stash of incredible stuff from another person who not only sold me some priceless objects, he also had been saving stuff for me unbeknownst to me. It blew my mind.

And I never forget those people that blogged about me or my work and even some artists online who purchased my work. It feels like a long slow road, often feels like nothing is happening and no one cares...but that is just the disease talking. We all have it, the thing that wants to destroy us. It's strong in some of us. I personally have fought it all of my life and many times it nearly did destroy me. The more I follow my BLISS the more courage I have to keep going and feel gratitude. The stronger the life force gets. It really is as simple as putting one foot in front of the other and walking that path despite the fear, loneliness and pain. Over time that starts to slough off. Never forget, the caterpillar thinks it is dying.

8 comments:

Michelle said...

I think you have found the key! Follow your bliss and allow the universe to supply what you need (unfortunalty for me, the big ol U and I sometimes have different ideas on what it is exactly that I need!!)

Lisa said...

Woohoo - chalk one up for the amazing universe and gratitude. Congrats on getting the printer!

San said...

Staying on your path continues to work the magic for you, Paula. Your last sentence is most wise.

Daniel Sroka said...

Congrats, that is a good find, and decently priced too. I'll just pass on the first lesson I learned with printing - to learn how to print, you must *print*. Don't try to scrimp on the paper or ink, or you'll never grow.

self taught artist said...

thanks for the lesson dan, I hear it...it will be a challenge but I will not forget this.

Karen said...

Isn't the universe just amazing! So very very wonderful. I am doing a happy dance for you!!

BlueJude said...

YAY YOU!! I am sooo thrilled for you. way cool. Now about that catapillar...does that mean I really will turn into a beautiful butterfly? (:
Happy Weekend STA!

sarala said...

Save this post for when you are having a bad day! See good stuff can happen. Amazing isn't it?