9/29/08

before the blinders went on

Yesterdays post was about putting blinders on. What made me write that, aside from political, economical and just life in general goings ons, what really got to me was a post a blogger friend wrote about twitter. I have a few blog friends/artist friends online who I know for a fact are savvy on line marketers and getting more so by the minute. I got triggered. I went to twitter again to see what I was missing.

I was suddenly taken back to grade school. First grade. Second grade...and on up. I'm sitting there in class and the teacher is talking (picture me hearing what charlie brown hears when adults talk, that 'wah wah wah wah' sound). Basically I don't get it. Wild eyed and pale, my heart pounding in my ears while searching the other students faces to see if they get it. Test time, my eyeballs learn to move left and right with slow slyness looking for answers.

Twitter. I go to the page and see a page of one line messages that if you went to the dictionary and looked up nonsequitur you would feel like this was just a page of definitions for that word. I want to get it. I don't. Then the panic sets in. I'm not going to make it because I am antisocial (and stupid). I don't want to have ton's of people I don't know leaving me little messages. I don't have the emotional energy let alone the physical energy to go to 100 + sites and leave little messages for them. I don't want that much contact.

Then there is the ebay, etsy, facebook, cafe press and whatever else you can think of. I've tried etsy. I didn't have the energy to 'heart' tons of shit that I personally don't think anyone needs in their lives. Why I am always just irritated and exhausted by that site and why I keep going back thinking something in me or it has changed is beyond me. I've tried to sell stuff on ebay and feel like I'm walking around the streets of a slightly overcrowded dangerous foreign city. So lets just put it out there, I am not a people person. Never was. I like one at a time. One on one. I have my blogger people and a few of you even like to write me emails and back at cha's. It is true I have made more of an effort to go to blogs and leave comments and that feels good to support others but after awhile if they never visit, never comment I start to lose steam. So I like mutuality and substance in limited quantities.

Does this mean I'm screwed? I'm never going to sell online? I told myself that it does in fact mean I'm screwed. Then Tod, the ever level headed intelligent being that keeps me gently tethered to earth says that I'm not screwed. There are other ways. It's okay that I'm not going that route. Keep making art dammit. Am I being an ostrich I worry? He doesn't think so. Bottom line is, if I am not attracted to a certain thing, in fact if it repels me, then going towards it isn't going to be fruitful. I have to keep doing whatever it is even if it feels like I'm doing nothing and keep my eyes open, my senses tuned for when something does pique my interest. I get that logically but I still feel like I'm being left behind because I am being stubborn or temperamental. I feel like those people who do that and then see me voice concerns or complaints must say in their heads well...you aren't doing anything so what do you expect? Judgment from peers even if its in my own head makes me squirm. Then I realize they don't care they are busy twittering or trying to make it themselves. Thats why I wrote the blinders post. It's just too much sometimes all this stuff out there, my head gets too filled up with images and thoughts and overwhelm. I want to know whats going on but I usually can't handle the knowledge of it.

I hope Tod finds time to write on his blog....I understand that when you work all the time you have no space or energy to be creative. He could talk about this stuff in such a way that you would learn something and feel like you just helped yourself evolve into a better artist. Lucky me I don't have to wait for the blog.

13 comments:

Michelle said...

I don't get twitter at all either. I am not stupid.
You are in good company.

Lisa said...

There is no reason for you to "get" twitter. I thought I made that clear in my post. Some people enjoy communicating this way and get value from it - some do not.

There are many many paths you can take to market art - if you did them all you'd never have time to make art. So pick what works for you and don't worry that someone else might do something else.

sarala said...

I have no knowledge about Twitter. But you don't have to take to every new technology. Many people still make fun of us bloggers. But we know better!

Tod said...

Hey Pnut, did you get my tweet? Oh, never mind. ;)

Nellie's Needles said...

Just keep on creating your art while listening to your heart ... and Tod. I cannot imagine anyone working harder at finding ways to get their art "out there" than you do. Paula, you are good. Surely, more people will find your art as I did through a tendril of all the connections you have and are establishing "out there".

gigi said...

Personally I see nothing wrong with unitasking and reciprocity. I like both of those things, so why not keep doing it?

I just joined Twitter and don't really get the point, but I can see why people think it is fun. I joined it because i wanted to see what the fuss was all about and you gut instinct asking "what is the point" still works here. :)

Ellen said...

The whole social networking obsession is strange. People with a 1000 'friends' on facebook, who really only know about 20 of them personally? We all just have a need to connect and be heard, whether some have to do it in a BIG way, and others feel drained with too much of it, (I'm definitely the later) it doesn't really matter. Stop beating yourself up if you don't want to be a joiner. Your wise Tod is right, there are other ways, just keep doing and lose yourself in the work.

self taught artist said...

I really appreciate everyone's thoughts. And lisa, I know you dont expect me to 'get it'. What gets me is I feel like unless I do these things I wont reach people and wont sell art. I feel like I have to be a social networker, that people have to like me or know me (that seems to be the way people buy online these days)and i have to be popular in order to be noticed. I dont know what the alternatives are so it leaves me feeling fried. Nellie, I consider it a miracle you found me and bought art AND still read my blog. I haven't sold a piece of art online since spring!

Kim Hambric said...

Leave the blinders on! Just look up every now and then. The communications world is far too busy. As artists, we can't take every fork in the road. We don't need all of those utensils anyway . . . you can only eat with one fork at a time.

It seems you have been doing well with galleries. Sure there have been disappointments, but there have been many successes. A gallery seems to be a great sales method for a one-on-one person, such as yourself. Your work is obviously up to the task of being represented.

Lately, I have been doing well on Ebay. If I look back at the last 5 years, I can see that I have been quite successful with Ebay. No so with galleries, as you may know. I will continue to explore Etsy. I think my recent work will do well there. Your recent work is best suited to galleries than ebay or etsy.

Keep on your track. I think your path is the right one for you at this time.

p.s. Twitter sounds like something you get when you don't have quite enough money for a lap dance.

self taught artist said...

youre probably right kim, just seems so SLOW. I wanted to jump on the internet bandwagon too. You made me realize my work isn't appropriate for etsy, it just isn't. its too late to go to ebay and sell work for nothing just to get a start. my gallery pepole wouldn't appreciate it, now would the collectors who have bought work.
twitter does sound wrong....but i hadn't thought THAT wrong until you said it!

Daphne Enns said...

I think that I've heard of twitter before but really I'm not sure. I might check it out but it sounds like another energy black hole for me.

Kim Hambric said...

I don't know that it would be necessary to sell your work for nothing on Ebay. Put it up front that you have your work in galleries. You needn't sound pompous, just confident. Sell your work for what you would in a gallery. Whenever I am lucky enough to have work in a "gallery", there are times when something overlaps -- I may have a piece on Ebay that is in a gallery (sometimes this is accidental, sometimes intentional), I always give the gallery their commission. But then, what do I know, huh?

self taught artist said...

kim you are absolutely right, how much will i lose just trying one thing? I just start thinking oh i need to shell out 15.95 a month and get a nice store going like you do, and truth be told I'm too cheap to do it because I dont feel like it will work. I did at one point have the rr clocks on there, but i have honestly never given it my all. maybe i should re-think this, thanks for sharing, btw you are way honest and i hope your galleries know it!