8/8/08

the Evolution of Evolution

Before
After

Today, after shedding tears of frustration because of how frickin hard this was to put together, I finally finished it. This is similar to the one that just went into the gallery on a smaller scale. The difference is I used pipes (the center pipe is not as wide or large as the top and bottom pipe) and the horizontal pipe is one pipe. On the large piece (see below) I used flat pieces of steel, all of which were placed in uneven ways. For anyone mildly interested in why this was so hard, it was mostly because the pipes were different sizes and that changed the dynamics of where to drill holes and how to place the piece inside of the band, it wasn't until I started mounting each pipe to the back of the photograph and lining them up with the holes I found out I was off, I didn't take into account the flex still in the band and how it would move once two sides were affixed. Even if I had the knowledge of this I wouldn't have any better idea how to physically make it all fit spot on. Holding things, screwing things in ~ not having more hands to help or BRAINS meant I was doing each side and coming up short and off. There aren't instructions ya know? To make matters worse a screw broke off and I had to redo a whole side. Time to order the expensive higher grades (tod just mentioned this to me so now I am even more educated for the NEXT piece.) I probably shouldn't spoil the magic of a fresh looking piece of art.

I do still like the shiny steel pipes in the first picture, but ya know what? That person at the gallery wanted more rustic stuff and by God he got it. I always felt like maybe no one else would 'get it' how it was before, so I'm okay changing it. Tweaking a piece has always worked out for the better thus far. (of course I have a puzzle piece I'm redoing and it just sits there like a half baked cake, I know I want to redo it but I have no clue what to do with it) Put it on the shelf and let it marinate. Onward.....

6 comments:

Steve Kane said...

I'm amazed by anybody who knows how to build stuff. Flat-pack shelving from Ikea is about my limit.

Before... after... before... after... I guess I do slightly prefer "after" with the rustic piping although I do like the shiny piping of "before" but maybe they weren't quite right for this piece. Save them for another day, perhaps a "shiny" sequel to "Evolution"!

Kim Hambric said...

The rearrangement and rusticating were most definitely improvements. The piece now looks perfectly balanced. Your readers (me, at least) don't mind the spoiling of the magic of your artwork. We (I) want to know the nitty gritty.

Mary Buek said...

Perfectly amazing work. I actually like both before and after. Do you weld the metals? Or mostly cold connections? Glue? My neighbor Nancy has a plasma cutter and a torch. . . also amazing things.

self taught artist said...

I don't weld, not sure it is something I want to ever do, there is something clean and challenging about finding other ways to affix things.
I use hardware...metal strapping, nuts and bolts for everything. Glue... never on things like this, too precarious!
I'm not outfitting work wise for such things but I'm sure one day I will get more toys. Something enticing about plasma cutters....

seth said...

I love before and after but I do think there is a better balance in after. Gorgeous either way.

self taught artist said...

thank you seth, coming from you its a compliment for sure.