7/13/08

to the dogs

I turned the tube on this morning for a quick looksee at the evenings possibilities. (looks like WPT and High Stakes Poker are it) when I happened upon this blippet on the sunday morning talk show.

A dog did this. 'Tillie' aka Tillamock Cheddar. A little Jack Russell from Brooklyn. She even has her own website.

I kind of viscerally reacted in a negative way at first. Tod was walking by and he too had that roll of the eye 'tude. Then we laughed. And then found it interesting. This is how he does it as quoted from Dog Art Today:

Tillie expresses her artistic sensibilities with the help of her assistant F. Bowman Hastie III, who assembles a touch-sensitive recording device by affixing pigment-coated vellum to a sheet of lithograph paper backed by mat board. Then, Tillie takes the "canvas" in her mouth and uses her teeth and paws to scratch sweeping lines and intersections with a ritualistic intensity, sometimes to the point of nearly destroying her creation.

Yeah its frustrating that a dog can make art and have more sales and gallery shows that most of us ever will. And yeah there is something not quite right about an animal doing things and making money. But I do have to hand it to the owners' ingenuity for getting this together. And I would even go as far as to say this is actually interesting to me. I especially like the chewed off edges. Art you can sink your teeth into. (I had to say it)

8 comments:

Ellen said...

Gee, I wonder if she titles them too.

Sheree Rensel said...

I saw that on TV this morning too. It made me sick.

Karen said...

OK. I too reacted with distaste for this kind of art and with an ironic admiration for the dogs owners for making money off it. The with humor at those who actually spent money for it! Then back to distaste and disgust that there are so many REAL artists out there doing wonderful work that get little or no recognition. SIGH!

self taught artist said...

there is a lot of humor to be had about the whole thing...and i do believe this is more interesting than a lot of what is out there. i have heard many artists say OH free idea! i think this is a good example of a good free idea to build on.

Daphne said...

It's terrible because it once again reinforces the notion that our work can be done by " a child, or a dog". It means that people are once again drawn to sensationalism. Like paparazzi to a train wreck. I'm not saying the resulting photos or paintings can't have amazing aesthetic appeal but it lacks the deeper appeal of the art work that usually pulls me in, which is-how did someone come up with this idea? How did it change from the original idea, what did there work look like last year, five years ago or twenty years ago.

Then again it sounds like the dog and it's human have a pretty thorough process worked out and I respect that.

NovaCynthia said...

Hi Everyone,
Remember that Cat painting book that came out about a decade ago; everybody I met had it when I moved to Santa Fe; it was funny, cute, charming and beautifully designed but the video my Friend, (who is an admirer of my Paintings and a champion my ideas and writing presented on my blogsites, a recently retired Co-Publisher & Owner of The Sun Monthly a New Mexico Magazine) Gershon sent me from You Tube of Elephants painting, just pissed me off, the idea that the elephants were starving artists too and needed to earn money from their poorly painted tulips, just did not fly well, (and I love Elephants and I care if they get to eat or not) it was extremely slow to load and reminded me of Lucy the Ape painting experiments from the sixties if I remember correctly; (I should look it up and research it again with all the animal art out there to compete with these days, it's really kind of funny and hilarious, I am giggling as I write this) which I actually found very tender as she was extremely vulnerable in regards to her paintings; and all the derogatory to Artists, statements that were being made in Anthropological and Psychology at the time with bad jokes and supplications. Wow what a rant...
xoxoxo love-lite Nova Cynthia

self taught artist said...

never heard of that cat book...
or the starving artist elephants. for some reason i'm thinking this dog art thing isn't so awful. not really. i find it interesting and i appreciate that the guy used some imagination in creating something. the dog is after all just a tool.
that gallery owners like the work, people buy it etc in a way isn't any more troubling than back in the 70's was it? when Mapplethorpe's art included defecation. come on...i'd rather see the dog art.
it was initially threatening to me this dog business...but if i'm going to get upset by that i have thin skin.

self taught artist said...

and i'm saying I would be thin skinned
not anyone else....