Here is the one that wouldn't quite fit on the wall. This was the one that took every brain cell I had to put together. I had a couple different sizes of those baubles above and below the horse but none matched perfectly because of holes in them. I remedied that by putting steel bands around them. I guess the biggest challenge was finding the perfect place to put them. Once you start choosing options of all close together, using one, two or all three of them side by side or spread apart, well you can imagine how insane the choices get. Not only that, but as I have said before I have problems when it comes to measuring things. I mean, I take screws I need to the hardware store because I need to see them. When I measure something on my measuring tape I write down 9 and a half minus 2. Or five and a 1/4 + 3. So getting all this even and level and straight was daunting. All on one pipe. All with primitive tools and mind. The Gallery hasn't looked closely at it yet, when I went in today to drop the other horse off it was stuffed in a room with paintings. They are doing big time remodeling and the show is still two weeks away. I suppose they could get it up and see its fucked in some unknown way, but I'm so relieved that the end result so far looks great that for now I don't care if I have to redo it.
I have to say, there have been three pieces I have made that have done things to me either before during or after working on them. They are: The Mystic, The Birch Geisha, Puzzle Feet 699. Puzzle Feet was one of the most difficult things I had done. At the time I hadn't worked with plexi glass, I had a shitty shitty drill that wouldn't go through anything and drilling through plexi glass when I barely knew how to drill a hole was hideous. I went through several pieces of plexi glass and there was a time crunch to show it in a juried show in Burlington. I had three days or so and I swear I worked on it all three days. Tod had tried to help and couldn't take it anymore, it was that grueling. It was also a real C-Print, not laminated on a board so the whole thing was just one big learning experience. I should ad that the Puzzle Warrior was the most amazing thing to make. So there are four. While in the end it resulted in nothing THAT spectacular and I am right now redoing it, during the assembling of it I was constantly feeling it with my hands and bonding with it more than any other piece.
The Mystic was the first real puzzle assemblage I made other than Mask on Blue Board. This had substance and it felt mystical. And then The Birch Geisha...which I swear spoke to me after she was hung up. She demanded to be seen and get attention. I sold her in New York when I partook in a group artist show. A few other pieces have knocked my socks off with what was possible when it comes to the technical behind the scenes aspect. So, these Wonder Horses. I just thought I would share the kind of experience I have had with these pieces.
The Wonder Horse isn't just a piece of art. There was last years finding of the rings. There was this years finding of the actual wonder horse. And then just bonding with the piece while working on it. It came together rather fast prototype-wise. I have to tell you the last moments of drilling, of slowly screwing in the last screws I broke out in a sweat and I shook and I felt elated. It resonated so much with me as PERFECT. How cool to be so excited by something that I actually made with my own two hands. Sometimes I cannot believe that I am an artist!