6/20/08

a new energy


Last week Tod ran into a friend of his in Burlington and gave him one of my clock postcards. Gabriel Boray. I've never met him but have heard about him from Tod. I knew too what his work looked like as I checked it out online, he is a painter who interestingly has some amazing paintings of industrial areas and railroad tracks. Tod mentioned that Gabriel had an immediate reaction to the postcard so I emailed him and asked about showing him my work. I have to say, Gabriel is probably the first artist I have met here that is really intense and determined to make it. No shit job for him. He wants to live and work and play as an artist. Recently Gabriel opened up his own gallery right above the Flynn Center for Performing Arts on Main Street and today I went there with some clocks he picked out from my website for possible exhibiting! I was there over an hour and a half ~ incredible since I often feel I have nothing to say to people. I like this guy! I like his energy. I like his space. It is small and not something you would know exists if you just walked down main street but he has his connections, his people...and the space exudes a confidence that I've not really felt in many other places. I sort of felt like I was in the presence of someone great. I'm a decade older than he is and yet I found myself looking up to him. That little bit of time spent in his studio already has altered my perception of my own work as seen through his eyes. I am inspired by him and honored that he really digs these clocks! He has been wanting to get some small sculptures in, he loves railroads and he loves clocks. I really feel good about being in his space, I know he is serious, committed and not going to just let my work sit there collecting dust. They will either sell soon or they will be out.

6 comments:

The Minimalist said...

Congrats! Your stuff is so cool. It'll sell!

Daphne said...

I am sooo excited for you Paula. Despite all of us being artistic introverts (us being you me and our blog friends) it really is a whole other thing to share a physical space with another creative person when you connect. This will be a great thing for you-I have no doubt about it.

Chelle said...

Way cool! It's great that you've connected with someone who gets you.

self taught artist said...

thanks for the support! it does me something to me :)

Karen Jacobs said...

Your clocks have always said "ART!" to me... the row of clocks on this entry is stunning. You might consider looking into the possibility of high quality giclee or photographic prints as a way to get these really neat images out and, hopefully, pick up some serious pocket change. I have one clock... would have a whole set if I could rationalize it. Wouldn't be able to make up my mind between them anyway. Quality prints would serve that purpose and be much easier to market and ship. Success with prints often boosts the price of the originals. Good luck with the new gallery!

self taught artist said...

KJ thanks for the ideas, of course that sounds very smart and business like!
let me know if I can help you rationalize :)