5/11/08

god dont let me become bitter

When I see that other artists get to have their own new york exhibition with works such as these, it is truly challenging for me to remain calm. I switch the browser to my page, diligently stare at it and feel frustration to the point of wanting to give up. I go into comparison mode. Is his work better somehow? More thought out? More time consuming? Is it somehow more pleasant and less raw? Is it because he is already 'somebody' that he gets to do these puzzle things and show them in a chunk? It is sometimes dangerous and sometimes empowering to look at what is out there in the gallery world. It can give me hope but it can also deflate me. Mostly it sends me into a fury while imagining myself scurrying into the basement studio never to be seen or heard from again.

11 comments:

Martha Marshall said...

It's a little luck, a lot of marketing and a whole heap of who you know. Your work is fabulous!

Steve Kane said...

Pah. This guy just made a jigsaw that doesn't quite fit together properly. Big deal. Your stuff is so much cooler. The difficult bit is getting your stuff noticed by the right people.

I wish I knew how to do that!

self taught artist said...

sigh

Nellie's Needles said...

I don't get it ... those other puzzle pieces, that is. I wouldn't call those art. Yours I call art!

self taught artist said...

nellie, what he is doing is interchanging pieces from other puzzles to change the original puzzle. his statement describes his process.

Bob Johnson said...

Who you know!! Art is very , ney extremely subjective.

gigi said...

your puzzle piece works, in addition to being largely three dimensional, have an entirely different feeling and flow that this art you have linked to. i wouldn't even consider comparing them!

Daniel Sroka said...

I think every artist have a few "competitors" -- someone who does something similar to yours. What can you do? Just keep your art true to yourself and push on.

Julya Lim said...

Oh WOW! You're works are AMAZING! Not sure how the art scene works but I'm sure you could set up a show here in NYC!

self taught artist said...

comparisons are odious i know
sometimes i can't help it.
thanks julya lim, it taint that easy when you dont know no body in that wormy apple

Daphne said...

Paula I don't see a comparison beyond the fact that the two of you use the same medium. It's like comparing one painter to another.

I don't care for that other persons work. It strikes me as something pretty basic. In some art schools there is an assignment where students take a book of their choosing and make art out of it. One student may burn it, the other one might make origami and another (like I did) will add drawing and writing to the book that I used.

The point is how to push the medium in your own way. And in my opinion you've taken it much further by moving it from the 2D world to the 3 dimensional.

How effing cool is that!?