4/11/08

Exhibiting

This afternoon I'm going to Montpelier to drop off three Mixed Media Works at The Lazy Pear Gallery. The piece to the left, Bent, Back View Woman, and Evolution. They also took four of my clocks!

The owners of this gallery, Rob and Mary Jo are artists themselves who have become more involved with the selling side of art over the last year or so. Their Gallery participates in the local Art Walks and this year they created a 'Sculptcycle' event for local artists. I'm liking what I see about this event as far as the parameters for the Artists. Not the same old same old. I also spent a few hours with them this week as they came to my place to see my work and talk. While they tell me not to have high hopes for my art going out the door as it is a slow time of year and they are still a smallish place and well lets face it, it is Vermont....I'm still thrilled to get my work somewhere and have the energy moving. No promises made to me either, but they also discussed their views about art and what they are trying to do as far as representing artists. To hear that they actively seek out galleries outside of Vermont to help place some of their artists only added to my good feelings about these two. There is a difference between putting your art somewhere and feeling like it is just sitting around as opposed to people who take the time to hear you talk about your work and self so that they can share that information with potential collectors.

8 comments:

Daniel Sroka said...

Congrats, it looks like a nice place. Yeah, it's always nice when you know people are looking at your work!

San said...

Paula, I like the sound of Rob and Mary Jo. I will visit their website too.

And Bent, the way it does that Mobius strip thing, it rocks, my friend.

self taught artist said...

mobius strip...WOW that does look like one (i had to google it u brain u)
thanks guys, it feels great!

Kim Hambric said...

The Lazy Pear sounds like an excellent place. They do not sound lazy, though. It seems that too many gallery view their artists with such distaste. Their willingness to help you make other contacts is incredible.

self taught artist said...

kim, it is incredible but they would be doing it for a commission themselves. Still, any effort, any reaching outside of Vermont to get me outta here is more than I'm able to do thus far on my own. Whether that will happen for me remains to be seen but at least they have feelers out there.

Nellie's Needles said...

Yeah! Looks like you'll be in good company with your work and you getting highly deserved respect.

Daphne said...

I love BENT. I want it. How much???

self taught artist said...

wow, you haven't ever seen that? its been on my site (its an early piece done is 06) It is $650. If you want it you have to contact the gallery, its in their hands.