3/27/08

Phylogenesis

Phylogenesis, 2008
Mixed Media Assemblage


partial photo detail

Well you guys are it. You are the only people who get to see the new art, this is my moment of ahhhhh. I've finally finished this piece that I've been working on since December. As always, it looks relatively simple but also as always after I have designed the piece it is the measuring, deducing, cutting, and mounting that turns me into a turtle. I balked at this too since I was using a different mounting system and dreaded ruining it. Alas, it is done. I wish I could just zoom it off into my own gallery like San does (I hope you know how lucky you are woman!), oh how nice to just put art out there immediately for sale. One day.......

12 comments:

gigi said...

quite fabulous. The photo and its frame are separate components and could each stand on their own, but I love how seamless the photo and the metal is together.

I hope you are pleased with it!! xo

Daniel Sroka said...

Damn. Wow.

Daphne said...

I love it. My favorites are the circles. They're so elegant. Daniel nailed it with what he said.

self taught artist said...

a damn wow makes my day.
thanks for the feedback you guys.

JAXTER said...

That texture is fantastic - just like the work itself... and it (the texture) is a beautiful fractal... the time and effort that went into fruition was definitely worth it!

Nellie's Needles said...

Golly, Paula, where do I start? The juxtaposition of shapes within the "hard" ware as well as between them and the amorphous photo ... and then there are those shadows cast on the wall (sigh) ... AND then the colors! It took a bit of studying and reading to determine that the bolt heads were not stones but were painted. What is the scale of this art piece that was born after such a long difficult labour?

self taught artist said...

nellie you give me far more credit than i deserve...the bolt heads were found just as they were (in the same area that i took the photo). i'm pleased you spent time looking at it.

Evenspor said...

It's beautiful. It makes me think of something primitive, like cave people and dinosaurs.

Hey, I just got two new books for my birthday about the business of being an artist (one of them has the subtitle: selling yourself without selling your soul). I'm going to try and get them read and get a review up on my blog within the next few weeks. I thought it was something you might be interested in.

self taught artist said...

that book is on my library waiting list...thanks for recommending though. will be looking for your review. it is primative this piece, glad you resonate with that, thanks for the feedback!

Evenspor said...

Prehistoric was the word I was looking for. Sorry, my brain hasn't been running at top speed lately.

Chelle said...

That is absolutely beautiful. Well worth the time it took.

self taught artist said...

thanks chelle