3/3/08

open to suggestions

Last week I finally wrote up the backsides for the Vista Postcards I had printed for my taxi/marketing embarkment. I have to say, other than the colour not quite matching what I thought it would (which is no surprise given monitor settings and unknown printers printing from elsewhere) I am very happy with how the first batch looks. I've yet to receive the clock postcards, but hey I chose the slowest shipping (21 days) and ended up getting batch #1 in three days.

My biggest challenge now is distributing them to the taxi fares in ways that don't make me repeat myself over and over. I have a very low tolerance for monotony. If I have to hear myself say the same thing over and over for too long I will go to a seamstress and have a zipper sewn over my mouth. I've put the cards on the console on the floor between myself and any front seat passenger. I mention I am an artist, they say what kind and I try to casually pluck a card and pass it to them (feels a little wrong and calculated). There aren't places elsewhere to have them just innocently sitting around and I'm wondering if it is gauche to do this? I only ordered 150 cards, they aren't something I'm going to just give out like bank suckers. Don't want them tossed without a thought. Just wondering if anyone has a brilliant idea for how to further sell myself while driving people about. There is nothing worse than feigned interest. I sometimes get neurotic and tell people they don't have to keep the card, I'm just showing them what I do. If anything I'm learning something about something even if I don't like it.

7 comments:

BlueJude said...

Wish I had some witty advice, but uh, yeah, I had a few drinks last night to try and escape the realities of life- but of course they're still here today and I'm just tired. I do LOVE your clocks- makes me want to start making clocks...ahh yeah right...like there's time to explore that venture! Anyhoo, the cards look great...and if I do have a brain surge of a revelation, I'll pass it along. BTW you are not Paula the Cab Driver, you are Paula The Artist, who just happens to drive a cab right now.

Daniel Sroka said...

Thinking about the context... people know when they are being marketed to, and usually don't like it. But they also love discovering cool things in unexpected places. If through talking to them, you convert the image they have of you from 'My Driver' into 'Very Cool Local Artist (who happens to be driving me)', then I think you have them, and can offer them anything. Then you are not marketing to them, you are sharing with them. Then the postcard is a part of your conversation, a way to continue it. Then I think it will feel most natural to you.

(I don't know if any of that makes sense.)

self taught artist said...

thats it exactly dan, i just couldn't verbalize it about people knowing they are being marketed too and turning them off.
good to see that and be aware, guess i'll just have to keep being chatty and personable. god help me.

Daniel Sroka said...

I know. I have a hard time doing it too. But I also found that I have a harder time when I feel I have to sell myself (like a competition interview I probably just blew). When I don't have that pressure, I seem to do better.

I guess it's good to remember that your task is not to convince the unconvincable. It's to find the potentially interestable. (Eegads is that even grammatically correct?)

jason said...

hey, here is the site i was talking about where i made the extra cash, I was making about $900 extra a month...
check it out ..

Daphne said...

Hi Paula. I'm behind in my reading. Anyway, I bet people will ask to see samples of your work while you're talking.

And most people would find it very believable that an artist would drive a cab.

I am looking forward to hearing about your postcards being handed out.

sarala said...

I see my clock! I love the cards. I like your new marketing idea. Keep it up. Even if you have a 0.1% return it is worth it.