3/5/08

Slice of Time Two, #60

#60/100
2008
Okay, some of my clocks thrill me and some of them I'm just really happy with. This one thrills me. While most of my clocks are stark and contrasty as far as seeing the time from a distance, not all of them are and that is fine by me. On a gray day such as today, this isn't going to pop out at you but the crypticness of the tiny writing and the roughness of the used blade (courtesy of my constant using this last year) will pull you in and make you think you are seeing something incredibly important. The mimicking of the silver stamping causes an internal pounding of pleasant repetition. While not as visible in the photographs, the hands have been sanded and sliced with a rough sandpaper, creating the appearance of having been put through their own power tool experience. This is a piece of time ladies and gentlemen. A hologram of art hovers as I have used that blade many many times on a plethora of pieces of steel which are now embedded in other clocks or mixed media pieces.


13 comments:

Lisa said...

I love it! Love to see you working again.

Bob Johnson said...

Wow, this one is great Paula, very different, cool.

Chelle said...

I really like this one, and your description is really good too. (I'm not being very eloquent - a day full of meetings turned my brain to mush.)

Swubird said...

Fabulous clock, and great writeup. We have a lot of clocks in our house - the Queen is quite a collector. But nothing like this one on your site.

I'm glad I stopped by.

Happy trails.

Daphne said...

I really really love it. I can see it in my house.

And once again, I can see how one day our work could really merge despite the fact that we use different processes.

self taught artist said...

i'm thrilled you guys left feedback in favor of it too. i can't stop looking at it. i'm mesmorized.

Karen said...

This one is really great! Hope your having fun!

San said...

The cryptic, itty bitty words--HUGELY fun!

Julie at Virtual Voyage said...

Great blog and brilliant art. Love the clocks and the look of your metal stuff - Son who is at art school did some welding and metal sculpture and really enjoyed it.

Evenspor said...

I love it! I just found your blog through artbolgs4u.

sarala said...

This is a great clock. I was wondering what item the warnings came from.
Any use for some Victorian flat nails? My neighbor is having a rehab and I might be able to climb into the dumpster.

self taught artist said...

hey shara, the warnings are from the blade itself. if you look closely you see it on the upper part of the blade.
SURE i'd love nails just dont dumpster dive into one head on!

Clare said...

I'm still here snuggled in my chair with a head cold, but REALLY enjoying and valuing your posts as I work from most recent down through older ones. Your clocks always surprise and delight me with the awesome way you bring pieces and textures together. I love them. And I really love your piece above (from 3/37/08) called "Phylogenesis 2008" -- it is truly incredible. To me the shapes seemed to have a shamanic feeling with bears or people. It's really really cool.