3/9/08

Binge Driving

Last night I did another binge drive. Last week was the first week that I've managed to make art since driving the cab three months ago as I only worked about 1.5 days instead of the usual 6-7. Work is dying. Snow dwindling. Tourists fading. Then we get hit with calls. Bostonians appear to be here for some freakish last hooray of skiing? Some Academy graduation? Stowe was inundated with humans and since my week was null cash wise I dove in. Another 16+ hrs minus a few down times.

I have to say, if Boston is anything like the people I've driven I should high tail it there when I can and get my art someplace. If I were a young woman Boston would have me seduced 100%. I guess the wee Irish in me can't resist those dark mops and blue eyes. The accent doesn't hurt either. I've heard Boston is filled with angry Irishmen but last night I had taxi-van load after taxi-van load of polite, intelligent men albeit soused. Oh and I got the best tips of my short taxi driving life.

I got some weird contact high from being around so many people, inebriated or not, there is this energy that spirals you into worker bee mode. I did 21 fares from 5:45 pm to just after 2am. It was non-stop. And THIS time ladies and gentlemen, I marketed myself. Didn't matter they were young, didn't matter they were drunk. I pushed those little artist postcards into every hand I could. I'm sure half of them will wake up today and wonder who the hell gave them those cards. I'm sure 98% of those cards are in the trash. At least I made an effort. At least they aren't going to send me an inhuman form letter back insulting my work.

The cherry on my topping for the night was my last ride. I told myself I would do ONE MORE. As the bars close the people get scarier. They don't know where they are going (and neither do I) and my courage wains. But my last fare was a lone woman who's friends had already left and she was escaping some guy she met at the bar. A graphic artist in Boston who exchanged cards with me. She too is an artist who succumbed to a job (although she is still in the arts whereas I've fallen into the menial abyss). So I had a safe quiet ride with a real human. Dudn't matter if we never connect. We did for that moment and I was at peace. I'm drained, I feel as if I were the one out drinking until 2am. Out of balance yet again. Rest assured I think, it WILL be a ghost town soon so just push on through, art mode will have it's day eventually. Okay, back to the trenches, worker ant off to drive.....

5 comments:

JAXTER said...

Boston is lovely.. I lived there for 8 years before moving down to NJ and I still miss it so. I am glad you had a positive night of driving to top off a week where you found the time to make art - that is what makes it all worth while I think.

Shelby said...

I've wanted to visit Boston a long while.. never been there yet tho. I will one of these days hopefully.

I'm glad to you had a good nite of driving and a week of art!

Take care.. and happy Sunday today.

Daphne said...

Sigh. It sounded like an interesting night. Far more interesting than mine...

btw I'm still looking for time to sit J down to discuss your email. I will get back to you soon. Promise.

self taught artist said...

daphne, you always make me laugh.
thx shelby and congrats on the job!

San said...

From your comments about the drunks getting the cards--I'm picturing this guy waking up, wiping his eyes, cradling his aching head. He's thinking, Did I sleep with some artist chick?