2/2/08

Inspiration despite myself and then some

Just because right now I'm a working stiff and have lost all momentum with creating art doesn't mean I'm not looking around and noticing everything I can. Yesterday I had an hour break between taxi rides and watched the last half of Charlie Rose. His guest, the maddeningly proliferate Julian Schnabel was talking about his latest film and exhibition. I had noticed last month as I perused Sperone Westwaters site his Navigation Drawings were making the rounds. I found these curious and had an almost violent internal reaction to them when I first saw them. I'd never heard of Julian, and when I saw him on Charlie Rose I had no idea who he was. It wasn't until they started showing those drawings that I put two and two together.

I'm going to have to say his work, like Richard Tuttle, initially hit me the wrong way (I can remember emailing tod the link to the above map drawings and spewing venom). But like Richard Tuttle, the more I look at it and listen to him I realize he is doing something that he really believes in and is inspired to do. For some reason that does make a difference to me. When I can push aside my momentary anger that: this is grand art? .....this is in the best of galleries and I could do that kind of attitude gets vaporized, I realize I can get inspired and intrigued instead. Why not. It feels better than slighting it.

It was an interesting interview. More so before he started talking about the drawings. I almost felt embarrassed as Charlie asked him to talk about a few of them. The screen showed a drawing (which are really old maps with paint on them) and Julian said something like: there you have a green mark and then a red mark and then a white mark. in the markings (or whatever he was calling his paint strokes) you can see how the stroke was made. Something to that effect, it was very basic and what struck me was how little there was to say about what he did. At least he wasn't pretending it was way more than it actually was.

I only heard the tail end of his talking about the film he made. I'd have to say he is out there. Way out there but I was inspired none-the-less by his passion. Thats a good thing.

Then you have the quiet artists....the ones who meticulously do their own thing for years and years. Just saw this, A Handmade Home. (more photos here) I like this because it allows my mind to wander. What kind of house would I make? I have fond memories of making homes out of lincoln logs and these little red bricks that fit together nice and tight (much sleeker than legos), there were even white windows and doors that you could insert wherever you wanted. I loved building structures. (just had to see if I could find them online and I did, American Plastic Bricks by Halsom and Elgo...now I want them!!!!) I still think I would love the opportunity to build my own place someday if I could ever have the man power and brain power.

So there, two people doing completely different things. Both obsessed and delving deep into their creative bones. I file this away. Take it in and let it morph into a creative energy that I can use one day for my own work. In the meantime, the weather is frightful! I had two airport runs yesterday and today my eyes and forehead are feeling very strained from extremely rough driving conditions. No time for panic when you are trying to just stay on the road and stay alive!

for some reason spell check wasn't working so excuse typos....

4 comments:

Kim Hambric said...

I'm still trying to wrap my head around those Schnable map paintings. Perhaps they are supposed to wrap around my head instead. I'm sure there is inspiration to be found there.

As for that hand-built home . . . whew. Home is where you should be happy - a home is for making art of all types.

Thanks for the interesting post!

San said...

Quite a few years ago, I saw an exhibition of Julian Schnabel's art in San Francisco. Back then he was making these huge paintings that had shards of old dishes attached to the surface. You could see the little prices on some of them, which had come from the Goodwill store. One was called "Circumnavigating a Sea of Shit." I liked these paintings but recently learned that the critics consider that phase of his work pedestrian and crowd-pleasing.

There you have it. I'm a pleb.

Subconscious Mind said...

Thanks for the great and motivating post! I fully agree with you. Do check out http://www.subconscious-mind.org, they have a whole host of interesting and helpful articles

JAXTER said...

Coming to this post a bit late - been working, haven't been around the blogosphere much lately. What I really loved about your post was the acceptance... I always tell my students that when they hate a piece of art or an artist, or when they think they could have done whatever they were looking at - that is precisely that moment when they need to step back and look closer. I stress that it doesn't mean they will like the work any better, but they might understand it, find some respect for it and realize why they couldn't do it. You are proof that my theory is correct and I can't even tell you how affirming it is to read you gave Schnabel (not one of my favorites by the way) a second chance. Thank you, thank you.