12/7/07

Escape


Escape #1/1
Approx. 24" diameter


Things have mellowed out, at least on my end. Only drove that one time this week and until I'm needed for computer input I have time to work on art. I've been working on this piece for most of two weeks, half of that time was spent figuring out what to combine with the photograph for a whole piece. I usually mount these round pieces with one solid object on the back, this time I wanted the pipes above and below the photograph to be uneven so it involved many more calculations and cuttings....those of you who know me know I am 'challenged' when it comes to this stuff. I took my time and liken it to a recipe that needs time to bake in the oven. I do a little and leave it be, let my mind think about what I'm really trying to do or want to do and go back in when I'm feeling confident. Got a chance to use my mitre saw and brain all in one.

Working on a diptych with two of my Pen & Ink drawings, I'm really glad I decided to spend the money and have my drawings scanned/printed and laminated, they look FANTASTIC. Now that I've got one done (a painting but same thing theoretically for all intents & purposes) I'm excited about getting a body of work made from all of my drawings.

I also just got a good lead on a gallery in Boston, an unexpected word of mouth pointing me in a hopeful direction as they know the gallery owner and told me I could use their name as a reference. Good thing too because I sure haven't seen much online that felt right to cold call/submit. I can feel my attitude changing about galleries. I was thrilled when I got into the gallery in Stowe because I loved the art they carried, very eclectic and not your run of the mill art, so to have my own work in there was exciting. I also did a short stint of shows here and there but find them to be more work than it seems worth. I'm sure there are many shows out there that are worth it (like the Miami show that the whole art world is going on about right now), but they are out of my league right now. I don't have the funds and supplies to get set up even if I were invited to participate. I'm finding too that deciding I need to get into a gallery outside of Vermont has become a necessity, my work has to be seen by more people if I want to sell more at a faster rate. There is plenty about all of this that I could still balk at, and do at times, but what can ya do? Until they find me I need to find them.



12 comments:

Nellie's Needles said...

Physically and visually everything is heavy metal, but it all floats in the air. Wonderful!

JAXTER said...

This is sensational! The formal juxtaposition of the circle to the rectangle rocks and the textures are just fabulous - both on the rusted circular piece and in the photograph - you just raised me out of a dark mood with that image! Thanks.

Daphne said...

This is probably my favorite piece of yours to date. Stop it! I want it. It is really incredible Paula.You're work has become very refined lately (ironic for industrial found materials isn't it?).

self taught artist said...

nellie i like how you put that about heavy metal and floating..
jaxter, i'm having a day too so your comment was well received
and daphne, i laugh because i know you could paint this photograph in your daphne way and it would be just as cool. you are my peers so it is great feedback :)

Karen said...

Paula, in the few months since I have been reading your blog you have grown so much! I am awed by your work. I absolutly love this one, it is so organic! It looks like a metal fern. Your eye is so good! I am impressed by how brave you are in getting your art out there. YOU ROCK!

Catherine Chandler said...

Hi Paula!

Thank you for the comment :) I absolutely love your work. Especially this new piece! I definitely know what you mean about being "challenged" in the dimensions department...I often screw up measurements, and would rather have someone else do them! I tend to swap numbers (dyslexia) which makes things interesting :) Keep up the good work!

self taught artist said...

karen, 'metal fern' WOW you hit it, it does look fernlike. good call! thanks for the feedback too!

catherine, nice to hear another artist struggling, especially since your work to me is flawlessly beautiful.

Chelle said...

This is absolutely gorgeous. I don't have anything pithy to say about it, just that I really like it.

Bob Johnson said...

I had to look up pithy to make sure I as well didn't pithy it, nice work!

self taught artist said...

chelle, just using the word pithy makes up for not having anything pithy to say. i love that word.
bob...you used it too so no pithiness necessary.

Andrée said...

No, Daphne, it's mine. Seriously. This piece is perfect. I hope I can buy it.

self taught artist said...

andree, right now it's sitting in someone's house, they are testing it out on loan from the gallery...if not it goes back to the gallery in a week or so. let me know if you want it i'll sneak in there and rip it off the wall and drive it up :)
glad you like it