11/1/07

Triangular Chunk #54

Triangular Chunk
#54/100
It is very cool that a blogger friend sent me a piece of scrap earlier this summer. She sent the yellow chunky washer in the center. I had been waiting all this time to find the perfect fit for it. Some clocks are relatively easy to put together, this one was a bitch. I have all the backs welded with brackets to protect the clock movement, depending on the back of the plate, where the grooves are the brackets are higher or lower, but all of them need to be just under the top hole/squares of the plate (in this case I have used molding paste to fill the holes in), so the brackets aren't seen from the front of the plate. It is impossible for me to determine ahead of time which rr plates will be covered with baubles completely or something just put in the center. When all is said and done I have to drill the hole for the clock. I drilled this hole just a wee bit too high and the bracket was in the way. I had to pound it and try to bend it a little but a groove in the rr plate impeded it moving further. I then resorted to using my hand drill with a metal cutting attachment to sand down the bracket as well as flatten the plate. The hole had to be augured but ultimately that didn't help too much. More grinding down of things and finally it fit. I like this clock for it's slightly aggressive color scheme, not my usual m.o.

7 comments:

kate said...

All those complications were worth it, Paula! The clock is lovely ...

San said...

Great job, Paula, on this clock and the element clock. Those enigmatic little engravings--enigmatic in their new context--are way cool!

Shelby said...

fantastic I think :)

p.s. I resigned my job today (effective in 2 weeks).. maybe they'll fire me now and get it over with - here's hoping. I have no idea what I'll do next, but I am not worried. Strange but true.
THANKS FOR ALL YOUR GOOD THOUGHTS and COMMENTS SENT MY WAY!!

Mary said...

Purple and gold, Paula--have you considered marketing this one in Baton Rouge? Those are LSU's colors--

Mary

PS It looks great!

self taught artist said...

happy for the comments! this is the last one for a bit, got more projects pushing for attention.

sarala said...

I thought that washer had a clock in it!
Purple and gold are also the colors for the University of Washington Huskies. Maybe I'll get my dad to buy it!
Very cool clock. Does it have a name?

self taught artist said...

yeah, triangular chunk. wow, you got it in seattle and unknowingly I gave it the huskie color? intersting....