11/11/07

Sunday Scribblings #84 Left & Right

I'm left handed. I hadn't thought about being left handed until a few weeks ago when I was out collecting more materials for art. The person who was offering me things had a large piece of MDO and Luanne but they wouldn't fit in the van. He had plenty of tools and offered to cut them; I offered to cut it instead. He set everything up on the horses and I grabbed the hand saw. I saw a flash of surprise as I started on the other end where the two pieces that were on top of each other hung over the end of the table since he assumed I would start on the other end. Just a week prior to that I was cutting something at home, I was cursing the fact I can never get close enough to a small piece with the skil saw because the body of the tool always hits my c-clamp. I had an epiphany, stand on the other side and the thinner side of the saw slides right on by. It was awkward though and visually threw me off and I prefer to do it standing with the bulk of the board on my left.

I have adapted, as do most lefties. As a child the school tried to get me to write with my right hand but it didin't stick. I played baseball and would hit left handed but throw right handed. I caught better right handed. I played tennis right handed. Threw darts/arrows, shot BB Guns...all right handed. Who is to say it was natural to do most things right handed or part of my survival skill since I was always anxious and just copying everyone in order to learn. Paranoid thing that I was, I decided to learn how to write right handed as I got older in case I ever had my left hand amputated or suffered a stroke. I got very good at it but over the years stopped practicing.

Everything is for right handed people. So I comply. Shooting a camera, bowling, just about anything I can think of I do with my right hand save for playing pool and eating. Now I see that doing thing with tools with a left handed attitude might be part of the reason I am so screwed up when it comes to all that stuff. My brain feels split, I see as a left handed person but have automatically been trained to use my right hand. Try switching your mouse over for a left handed person and drawing with that hand in a Paint program....thats what life feels like when you are left handed.

Sunday Scribblings

3 comments:

tumblewords said...

You are so right. Life is a series of learning, confusion and change. Grin. I've tried the mouse and paint in my opposite hand in earlier times and recognize the difficulty. Nice post!

DJPare said...

Why do you bowl righthanded? There aren't right or left balls...

self taught artist said...

like i said, i learned by copying, and how I was shown to do things. it's an orientation thing