11/6/07

Inspired


While this make not look like anything great to you, this inspires the hell out of me. I know not why. This was another object I found last week and have cleaned and put on a wall shelf near my bed. I'm looking around at these newly acquired things with complete awe. Part of me thinks this is already art and were I to take a board, paint it a shiny yellow and put numbers on it, it would just be a copycat. Copying. Worse though because those letters meant something and I have no numbers that mean anything. Inspiration is, to me, a whole new world of many languages I've yet to understand. It feels wrong to look at something and want to do it myself. It is different than taking a picture of something and then making an assemblage out of other objects that just look and feel good all together.

Have you ever seen a glimpse of what you knew might be possible within yourself? Ever break the lock that has kept a bounty of secrets within that you had no idea were even there to begin with? That is how I feel lately. I never knew I had this love for these types of objects until that person last week allowed me into that building to see the wreckage within. It is its own lost civilization. It is challenging for me to keep running along side my desires, they are going faster than I know how to travel.

8 comments:

Daphne said...

P- Your self-expression in your posts has really become really clear. It sounds like you've made a lot of discoveries lately-not just of objects but of the things that really move you.

By the way, it's good to see one of your masks up on your personal photo. It's funny to think that something so appropriate wasn't there all along...It's funny how when "it" works it looks like it was so effortless. Hah!

self taught artist said...

daphne, thank you for your comments...I love how you notice things and have such a unique thoughts too, you ad to this blog with your insight for sure. I wouldn't have thought the mask makes sense until you pointed it out...the puzzle background on the page right? duh!

JAXTER said...

Fabulous yellow - wonderful letters/numbers - how could it not be a source of inspiration? I try to explain that moment/concept to my students - some of them get it, some don't - it makes me feel all alone at times when I am proclaiming the merits of a dented brass door knob that is still mounted on a small square of wood that was its original door (for example) and they look at me as though I am nuts Thank you for permitting me companionship in the gratitude for small (and not so small sometimes) objects that blow our minds and the knowledge that I am not nutty...

self taught artist said...

j- ur not nutty, its more normal than we think i think.

Bob Johnson said...

You're very unique, I love reading your posts, you have a good handle on who you are whenever you start to break locks.

San said...

Hey Paula--

The connection you make between the possibilities of these beautiful quirky objects and the possibilities within us is profound. Keep connecting those dots, babe.

And I covet your yellow thingie with the red letters.

self taught artist said...

san, glad you get it too. and yeah, the shelf below does have that ed m quality. i see an empty old woman when i look at it, vampiric, catholic and egyptian all in one.

Clare said...

Hi Self Taught! I think this yellow board with the letters/numbers on it is brilliant and very inspiring. We are drawn to things for a reason, and their energy dances with our energy and leads us to the next thing. It's part of the wonderful and wacky journey of life.
:)