11/8/07

Inspiration: Robert Bruno


I was looking at my morning feeds when I saw this artist on Neatorama. Robert Bruno. He has been working on this house since 1974. I have to admire the shapes and structures swirling within. It is a work of art. A home? I'm not so sure I would want to live in it but my god can you imagine getting to crawl around in there?

My mind always goes to the details of how does someone like this have the money to spend that much time working on such a ginormous project. And I wonder too if anything else got accomplished during this time. I look with complete awe at artists who spend years and in this case, decades on just one project. I would rather snack than eat a big meal. Art seems the same way, I like making smaller pieces and having time to jump around and I cannot imagine working so diligently on one project. It is admirable beyond words because to me it seems like a sacrifice of everything else. And yet, what must it be like to go so far into one project and have such an astounding outcome?

6 comments:

Kim Hambric said...

Most definitely not my way of working either. I think that I would find a new, better way of doing something, and instead of improving or redoing the entire decade-long project, just scrap it for what turned me on at the moment. I, too, wonder how they support themselves while they work on these life-long projects. To each his own.

I shall work on something new today. Perhaps something new tomorrow. I may never revisit those old projects at the bottoms of my drawers.

JAXTER said...

I am so excited about these pictures I can't even wait to read what you wrote before I tell you how much I want to see this in person...must subscribe to the feed - thanks for the tip - now to read what you wrote...

San said...

"Nude Descending a Staircase" would feel right at home, don't you think?

I relate to your need, Paula, to get on with an art project. I've been home for seven days now, working on several paintings, trying to finish one after the other. It feels so good to "complete" something, even if I'm never sure if it's really done.

The creator of this house is pretty amazing though. Thanks for introducing me to him.

Bob Johnson said...

Okay I was just over at http://waycoolpictures.blogspot.com/

and saw the same house and thought how way cool.

Camplin said...

As fun as a tree house.

Clare said...

That house is a total trip -- I love it! It's a force of nature, in addition to being art. Wow.