11/9/07

In between the Inspiration

I've got another post in the queue on Inspiration but before I post that I'll share where I'm at on this fine day. I'm in my own private Idaho of incorrigible incompetence. All this inspiration has intimidated me. And I've been working harder than anyone would actually believe just to get a photo mounted and lined up straight. I have problems. Not to offend anyone with a real disability, but sometimes I think if people knew how hard measuring was for me that they would guess my IQ dipped into the low 70's IF. Buy my art, I am retarded and not capable of doing anything right.

Today I measured three times, drew little diagrams, penciled things in drilled my holes and was completely off by 1/2". The sides were off by even more for another thing. Something that would take a normal person minutes to do has dragged on the entire day. My hands are bleeding, everything I touch blows up in my face. It is days like today I have to remind myself it is still better than saying "may I take your order please?" Actually I don't enjoy putting my art together. I enjoy the find. I enjoy the design, but the rest drives me out of my mind. I hate hurting my wrists screwing screws in and I feel like I waste so much time trying to figure out how to mount things that I will never make it at this rate. I guess I don't hate it, I like using tools but it drags me down that I don't have a proclivity towards measuring and constructing. I have no formula, every found object I use has to mounted in whatever way will work. Okay there is no excuse for the laminated photographs, but they do go onto various surfaces and each one is challenging and trying.

Okay, going in! going back for more.....

4 comments:

San said...

Paula, I have always been mechanically challenged. Despite a (purportedly) high IQ (tested many, many years ago--I KNOW it's been plummeting ever since), I am all thumbs and elbows when it comes to figuring out the kinds of things you are describing. My spouse wires my paintings, for example. You said it best: "Everything I touch blows up in my face." Actually, this week it was my foot. I somehow managed to squirt about a gallon of red paint on my right foot. My painting shoes happen to be an old pair of red bedroom slippers. Now they are encrusted with a second layer of color. The effect wouldn't have been half bad on a canvas.

Clare said...

Hi Self Taught! I could totally relate to what you wrote. Sometimes I help a friend with his art, and I always feel like I mess things up. I always want to do something perfectly, and that just doesn't happen. But what's wild is that sometimes when something is "off" or crooked, it looks really cool. There's a term that I think is called "wabi sabi" and it's art that isn't "perfect" -- it has flaws or is lopsided or even broken, and yet it is wonderful in its imperfection. I've always loved this. There's something comforting and reassuring about it for me. But sometimes things just have to be straight, too. And that can be really frustrating. I hope your wrists don't hurt too bad. And I LOVE the mask in your sidebar -- that is beyond incredible. The expression is beautiful and the colors and light look awesome on my computer. I hope you have a really nice weekend!
:)

self taught artist said...

s: sorry you wasted so much paint! how do you squirt a gallon onto your foot????

C: I love that birch geisha puzzle mask too. and you are right about 'imperfection'. wabi sabi. i like that. good wknd to u 2!

San said...

Well, Paula, I was exaggerating a wee bit. Make that a hell of a bit. But it does make a considerable lump.