11/18/07

How many days, months, years will it take, Art Gallery Submissions: Day One (yesterday)

I'm going to make an effort to get into a gallery OUTSIDE of Vermont, look at and hopefully accept some of my work. Yesterday I emailed an inquiry to McGowan Fine Art
I've yet to get even an response as to how one goes about submitting/what their policy is etc. I make sure to keep it short. In the past I was lucky to get one response for every five or so I sent and I used to have a 'form' letter I would send. Yesterday I tried something more casual.

Just found your website and didn't see submission guidelines. Could you let me know how you go about selecting artists? I am an artist in Vermont with two years of gallery rep.and looking to branch out. After looking at the artists work you have I believe I would not be wasting too much of your time to ask you to consider my work too.
Any response would be appreciated, as I know it must be annoying to hear from artists all the time...I'm hoping an email is painless.

thank you,
my name and web info goes here

I'm going to write a more standard query I guess, I think if it is too sterile it will just be yawned over. If you have a suggestion feel free to post it. I'd rather be criticised and critiqued here than looking like an idiot to a gallery.

10 comments:

KJ said...

McGowan seems to be a pretty steep challenge... if Joanne Mattera is part of the stable, well... she's hardly emerging! That's not to say you shouldn't aspire to the better galleries, but you best chances are to aim a bit lower... for the time being. The postcard idea is a good one, I'd push the clocks as many galleries pay their bills with the more utilitarian crafts like pottery, small sculptures and such. Once you get your foot in the door you can push your mainstream art. Be sure you include a short explanation (on back of postcard) of how they come into being... a good story helps sell as well. Since the clocks would make good Xmas gifts... push that aspect as well... and hurry!

KJ said...

You might even try to tie in with small stores and boutiques with the clocks... I know, I know... but sales are sales...

self taught artist said...

thanks kj
I've had/have the clocks in shoppes. I'm trying to think BIG, that I want them ALL displayed at once...to make an event around them...to then use that to get some attention from galleries. Obviously that will take some time/thought/money.

I want to get my mixed media out there in the meantime.

It is a challenge for me to find a gallery online, I'm too naive to really know if they are too 'big' for me or not. appreciate your input!

Shelby said...

I think this is a great plan!

Clare said...

Hi Self Taught -- I really like the email letter you composed. It's thoughtful and friendly, and it has a nice personal feeling too. It's not pretentious or demanding in any way. And I love how you are reaching out like that -- you and your art will speak to the right people and they will be thrilled to have discovered you.
:)

KJ said...

Thought of you when I came across this post on rejection: http://tinyurl.com/2xlfr4

Take heart... it's a rite of passage!

self taught artist said...

i almost can't wait to find a place to even be rejected...so far nothing.

kate said...

Keep the faith ... and keep on going. It's great to see you making this push beyond Vermont. Your clocks are really beautiful. These things take time and perseverance.

Bob Johnson said...

Great Idea, just me but I would take out the wasting time thing, but what do I know, just when I go through apps I like the more pushy thing, without being pushy, shows confidence. you do excellent work, and I've seen a bit go through our mall galleries, no expert but your unique and very good.

self taught artist said...

good suggestion bob johnson. thank you!