10/10/07

twisted relief

An hour and a half and a headache later, I leave the interview knowing I will not be the one. The first ten minutes I knew. I sat there listening and observing the person in me that moves around and does things while sitting perfectly still and looking normal...I observed that person standing up and announcing there is no way I can do this and leaving. Instead I sit and pretend and listen to the other voice that says just give it a chance ~ sit and listen and find out more.

I wanted to like this person and this job but I am not up for giving a three year commitment to helping them with the tasks they have at hand. I am also a different creature, this person is very serious. Too serious for me. And there is much seriousness in the job, much documentation of a lifetime of stuff and frankly that just isn't something I can stand to think about doing. Nor can I imagine or fathom celebrating Christmas for as long as this person does...I would be the poor sod wrapping presents the next few months. I left there feeling crushed. Like I physically had had a thick heavy thing pressing on me.

Off to home depot. Nothing like buying hardware to sharpen my spirits. On my way home I dropped off more RR Plates at the welders for more clock backings. And I noticed a little pottery shop closing up nearby and jotted down their leasing number. My crazy side took over and thought why not call and see what the rent is, open your own gallery and studio. Hell I have a few years of credit card living in me don't I? That's my fantasy....Paula Wahla World.

9 comments:

Daphne said...

Holy shit! That's what you need to do is be running the gallery that sells your work!

I know you don't like the way galleries work but maybe you could change that by doing it differently.

Really, it would be great! and terrifying but it would certainly up the ante for you.

Crazy is good.

Tori said...

I have been in this position before where I was in an interview trying to do my best to get the job knowing I fully didn't want it and they didn't want me...what a joke and a waste of everyones time.
Hang in there and keep being true to you!

self taught artist said...

daphne you crack me up, you are the only person I know who is cute when they swear. glad you like the paula wahla world idea.
tori, it IS a waste of time isnt it? oh to bash pretense with a permanent club of death.

Shelby said...

I say open the Paula Wahla World. It sounds like fun.

kate said...

A studio/gallery sounds like a fine idea ... at least investigate the possibility. It doesn't sound as if the assistant's job is the right one.

Love the drill bits ... I am having a blast with my dremel, which is child's play in comparison with your tools.

Karen said...

As an artist who must work at the day job I know exactly how you feel. Just where oh where is that winning lottery ticket.....

Deb said...

Well, at least you KNOW you don't WANT this job. Sounds totally not you from what I have observed. And one of these days, maybe that gallery will happen. With your talent & spunk, there's no reason why not.

Deb

Bob Johnson said...

Hey I just thought of something, I just got a call from one of my employees, he quit, no notice, come to work in frozen Saskatoon you can keep all the paint can lids you find,which will be quite a bit since you will be painting, and show your work in one of our galleries, we can hang out and do lunch and talk about blogging during our breaks, lol,.... maybe Paula Wahla world would be better.

self taught artist said...

bob, sorry, can't paint, my arms dont have it in me from all those years of massage! but save those lids!!!