10/21/07

drawings



When I spent winter in MN a few years ago, again, I was in a one bedroom apartment with nothing. I did find a love seat on the side of a road in a wealthy neighborhood and found someone to help me drag it home. I had a tiny radio and a borrowed table and chair. That's it. I slept on my camping pad with sleeping bag/blankets. The six or seven months I was there I ran around the lakes all winter long for exercise, I worked on painting tiles and coffee mugs, and read scads of library books. The above pink 'painting' if you can call it that was the first thing I tried to paint. I ended up mailing it to my friend in Arizona because I didn't want to throw it away but didn't want to drag it around with me either when I hit the road again. I wish I had it now, but I did give it to her. She actually likes it and has it up on her walls.

I then bought a bunch of canvas linen and tried painting on that instead of hard little canvases. I kept this abstract one because it could be rolled up and taken with. I just recently had it scanned and am going to have it laminated like I do my photographs, hoping I can make an interesting mixed media piece with it. It is much more enjoyable to do more abstract drawings/paintings but I still struggle with brush strokes.

I'm hoping when/if my stuff in storage gets taken care of my friend mails me a drawing I did of the one guy in my life that forever changed who I was. It was an intense relationship and probably explains why I was actually able to draw him. I will never forget making this pencil drawing. I spent a week solid, hours and hours on it. I guess that is why I do not enjoy drawing/painting 'real' looking people...it is tedious and difficult. I erased things over and over and spent literally hours on his ear. It is a magic trick, I never know how I did it.



And then we have Tod. I drew this shortly after meeting him, it was a study in trying to sketch him as fast as I could without looking at the paper, or least minimally. Recently I posted some of my Pen and Inks and got better feedback from them than I would have imagined. It kind of woke up something in me, I had really enjoyed doing those drawings but when no one seemed interested I abandoned them. I still haven't found my groove with my drawings, meaning how do I want to present them and where would they go since the gallery doesn't want them. There is a responsibility I think when you make art to find a place for it. It doesn't go well with my personality to just make tons of something and have it sit around.


So, Winter is coming and I'm getting as much art supplies/mediums/scrap as I can. I'm having a butt load of prints made/laminated and I plan on locking myself up and pumping out the art. It's good to revisit older works too as it is a reminder of my history, my 'new' history of who I am becoming as an Artist.

9 comments:

juan henri lopez said...

I agree. Drawing fast and painting pink is a lot like fishing for crabs. You just never know what you're going to get...

Minerva Jane said...

Wow. So glad I found your site. I loved the second painting and the second drawing--Tod. But there's also something else you said that hit a chord with me--"There is a responsibility I think when you make art to find a place for it. It doesn't go well with my personality to just make tons of something and have it sit around." Something I've struggled with a lot as a writer--sometimes finding a venue for your work is a real struggle. And its hard to keep working when the process of placing things takes much longer than the process of creating... And not really what you were in it for in the first place. You're quite good and your writing about your art interesting. I'll be back!

DJPare said...

I like these, especially the 2nd one!

Hey, send me a mug!! :)

self taught artist said...

M, thanks! I checked you out, good blog too. see you round.
Juan, what a funny comment
dj, glad you like the mugs just a few left, such valuables.

San said...

I too don't like to be haunted by those pieces that just hang out. I want them to find the proper home. That for me is half the fun!

That drawing with the eyes closed has soul--looks like you got the essence.

Kim Hambric said...

While there is no Tod photo to compare the drawing to, that sketch definitely has a lot of soul. Would love to see more of that type of drawing.

Enjoy building your artist's nest for the winter. Include something beautiful and colorful, no matter how small, to comfort you and inspire you through the cold months. I have an urge to buy some soft orange yarn. Not to use it, but just feel it and look at it.

Sheri said...

oh i love your art... can't remember how i found your blog but i just love it! your very talented!

Daphne said...

The drawing of Tod is very good. It has a lot of personality because you do it quickly.

Clare said...

Beautiful, beautiful drawings and paintings! I love the energy in your work -- each piece has an incredible spirit in it that is really moving. And I love reading the stories behind them. Tod looks like a real sweetheart -- very handsome too! And there really is quite an intensity in the guy you were in a relationship with before. You did an awesome job with the drawing of him too. Wow!
:)