10/25/07

Asian Flair #52/100


Asian Flair
#52/100

This is a chunky mottled gorgeous RR Plate. I felt like it had a kinship with something ancient and originally was attracted to the spotted leopardness of the plate. In my search for matching media, be it color texture or whatever, I came upon some jute that matched it perfectly. After a few days of looking at different round things to place in the center I got hit with inspiration for something Asian. These characters stand for: happiness, peace, tranquility, grace, prosperity, aspiration, constancy and harmony. Whomever owns this clock will be blessed with all.

8 comments:

Nellie's Needles said...

You have such flair. This clock is wonderful. I would be hard pressed to choose a favorite from your last three pieces.

San said...

This is such fun, Paula. Inventive and esthetically pleasing too.

You expressed interest in seeing Bennie's art clocks. I hope to put up a post about them within a couple of days.

Kim Hambric said...

Cool, cool Asian clock. It's great to see that your inspiration for these clocks is not waning in the least.

self taught artist said...

thanks nellie!!!!
hey san, looking forward to seeing them and thanks for adding me to your site, I will do the same :)
thanks kim, I am feeling lots of excitement about them right now and glad it shows.

Clare said...

Hi Self Taught! This clock is exquisite -- I love the color and texture of the mottled plate and the jute. And the Asian characters look great. You did an awesome job painting those, and the warm brown background for the pieces is gorgeous. Very zen and very beautiful!
:)

jasonshirts said...

oh wow--that is so beautiful. hey, is there some way to buy one of your clocks online?

self taught artist said...

jasonshirts, i was just typing a response and got your email...
so I will reply that way ;)

Crafty Green Poet said...

I love the materials you used here and its certainly a totally unique clock