10/11/07

aht

Just because I feel like I write too much and don't have enough pictures, here is another drawing I did a few years ago. I like this one, I call it 'Another Woman'.

I still can't decide what to do with my drawings. Frankly I think they are a little boring as black and white. I like pen and ink, (isn't that redundant? why do they call it that) I've tried some colored pencils and that doesn't flow and feel good. Some of my abstract pen and inks have thick pastel chalk livening things up, those are in storage in Arizona.

Speaking of which, after yesterday's job debacle (two for two this year) I called my friend in Arizona and asked if she wanted to buy everything in my storage closet to do as she pleased. I have that big red round chair in storage as well as the best of the best of what I owned and kept in a 5 x 10 storage unit. I'm starting to feel I will never get back there let alone unload my stuff someday in my own place so it's time. I will never make up the loss of what these possessions were worth but to pay storage for 4 years is starting to feel ridiculous. She just bought a car and isn't in a place to do that but did offer for a commission to try to sell it all in a garage sale over the next few months. As unattached to things as I am, it pains me but I'm going to do it. The key is mailed, and hopefully I'll make enough to have a few things shipped to me. Thankfully she is willing to keep my seven large pen and inks I made that are framed, feels important to get them some day, I hope I can.

The place for lease is $1000 a month plus utilities, guess I'm not going to have a studio/gallery anytime soon. Bummer. I thought it unlikely it would be $500, but I was willing to get myself into debt to do it. Just keep making art, that's what I have to do. In December I might have my own show in a little shop/gallery in Waitsfield. It isn't an art gallery per se, but she is aiming to become more of one and wants me to be the first artist she shows with. She has sold a few clocks and wants more mixed media when I have it to give. I think she actually stands to do well with her lack of experience because she is open to suggestions and not doing things like everyone else does.

So that's life. Today I did my last sit at the coop gallery. I sat in my car the whole time. The gallery is musty and cold and very noisy, its on a corner of a four way stop, oddly there is nothing around save for the buildings on each corner. It is the semi trucks and gravel trucks that go back and forth that reverberate through the building into my cranium. It was raining and only one person came to the gallery. I got out of the car for that. I just sat and looked at the view....thinking how gorgeous it is here in Vermont and what a strange life I have.

11 comments:

Shelby said...

"I just sat and looked at the view....thinking how gorgeous it is here in Vermont and what a strange life I have."

That is sooooooo something I would do.

In fact yesterday morning at work - I took a 15 minute break and went and sat in my car. Just sat there.

Penny said...

What about the possiblity of getting one (or even two) of the artists in the coop you're in to go together in the studio/gallery rental - is it big enough for more than one artist? It might be a way to share the cost and have the dream. And yes, keep creating your art because we absolutely must follow our dreams.

Kim Hambric said...

Way, way, way too bad about that gallery expense. There are really no galleries in my town -- the rent is just too high. We do have Verizon and Starbucks in high visibility storefronts, though. Sigh. Where is this space in relation to the coop you "sat" in? I'd worry a bit about attracting customers if only 1 person went into the coop all day. I guess location is everything.

Love those pen and ink drawings!!!

self taught artist said...

shelby, too strange
penny, all the coop artists are 60-70+ and not loaded or pushing their ar the same way. I also know I want to have my own space to concentrate and do what I want. Yes, I want it ALL.
Kim, yeah it's closer to stowe and would get more traffic. that coop thing is dead in the water.

Daniel Sroka said...

Your ink drawings are extremely compelling works of art. What should you do with them? Display them! Sell them! Make more!

Steve Kane said...

"Pen and ink"... as opposed to "pen and no ink"? Yes, it is a bit of a redundant phrase. I like "Another Woman", it's like a living finger-print.

self taught artist said...

dan, thanks for the encouragement, they seem to be harder to get into a gallery for some reason.
steve a living fingerprint...i really like that. you have an eye, wanna be my scottland distributor?

Steve Kane said...

I've got to get to Scotland first! Hmm, I've just had another thought about "Another Woman" - Spaghetti Lady! She fights crime by, um, staining evildoers' clothes with bolognese sauce... pelts them with meatballs... yeah, that sort of thing... um...

kate said...

A rainy day tends to make me think about what an odd life I have too ... the gallery doesn't sound well located at all.

I wish that you could get a studio - a bright, airy space - will keep sending those thoughts out into the world for you!

Clare said...

Hi Self Taught! Your pen and ink drawing mesmerizes me -- I love it. At first glance it reminded me of a woman in an eagle's feathers. There is something really powerful about it, yet vulnerable too. Filled with movement, yet contemplative too. Really beautiful. I'm glad the coop sit is done, but getting to look at the view sounds really nice. I also hope you get a studio soon. I'll cross my fingers.

San said...

"Another Woman" reminds me of a hunter wearing the garb of her prey. Her prey? Her own swirling soul.