10/14/07

#47/100 Two Coils

It feels damn good to be making clocks again! This is #47/100, the fifth clock I've made recently. I have splurged and given the welder fourteen more plates to put back brackets on, and I still have four blank ones here at the house to work on in the meantime. It usually takes me two to five days to come up with an idea and put it together. Lots of cutting, buffing, painting, varnishing and drying of things. If I use adhesives I always clamp the thing being mounted for 12-24 hr. I love it when they are done and I take pictures, put a battery in and 'test' it on the wall.

Right now I still have 'Painted' up, I haven't even tested the other four clocks yet because this one is probably my favorite at the moment. But this is a close second. Originally I was going to put the coil as a ring on its side, making a circle. It looked cool from the side but ultimately the surface needed more so I took a deep breath and cut it. (I really do have problems when it comes to measuring and figuring so I never know if something is going to work out). Can you believe I'm starting to feel sad that I'm only making 100 of these things? When I was only on #14 I remember thinking oh my god I will never be able to make 100 of these clocks. RR Plates are the coolest little canvases I've ever seen. There is something so satisfying about finding just the right object for a plate, noticing the subtle color in the object and matching it with paint to put on the plate. For this piece I mixed a reddish colour and added it ever so lightly to the top and bottom as well as the hands, the center of the plate a gray/blue to allow the coils a backdrop shadow effect.

7 comments:

Daphne said...

It's beautiful.

JAXTER said...

It is the little details all added up that really make everything so satisfying - at least for me when it comes to production... Nice work with the plates.

Lisa said...

It's nice to see you excited about making art again. This piece is wonderful!

self taught artist said...

thanks you guys!!

kate said...

I love the coils along with the wonderfully-rusted bit along the clock's top and bottom. Great piece ...

sarala said...

I love this and the painted one too. I wish I could collect all my favorites!

Clare said...

Hi Self Taught! Very, very cool! I love the curves of the coils with the straight lines of the hands and RR plate. And the colors are really pretty.
:)