9/14/07

work

Yesterday I took my puzzle sculpture to the gallery to find out what base might look best and to see if they even wanted him for the show. I'm keen on the metal one (far left) but not liking the color. Cor-Ten was suggested but that is out of my league right now. I am excited about the Oct. 6 opening, they are highlighting an artist that I adore the works of, John Matusz. He has over thirty years of sculpting under his belt and the few times I have visited him at his studio he has always been kind, enlightening and motivating. The gallery assistant has told me many times that she thinks there is an interesting connection between his work and mine and loves the idea of the puzzle head in the show. Still not quite sure if I want to put this piece out there yet, it was my first attempt at creating a free standing puzzle sculpture, I wonder could I do better, more etc. (of course I can always do better yes?) I've felt the sickening feeling before of having work exhibited when in my mind it wasn't quite ready; it's a strange feeling when the gallery takes work and I'm the one questioning it as opposed to when I'm certain of work and feel I have to sell it hard to them. I wish I had more work to submit, there is a slim chance I can get one photo/mixed media piece done in the next two weeks. I have had one laminated photograph already sitting around, normally it is a three to four week process to have a photograph printed and sent off to be laminated, and of course it can take me quite awhile to find the perfect blend of found objects to mount with it.

Yesterday I had a good talk with a life mentor of mine. I find myself speaking about 'being an artist' and not knowing if I still am etc. , she stated the obvious, that I shouldn't label myself. I was an artist before I ever made a single piece of art. I will be an artist if I never make another piece again. I am not what I do. I get it. I don't want to fit into a neat little container and be put away under one category. I need to allow myself to be and do whatever it is that I feel and not get locked into having to be anything. I suppose in a magical world I would have the time money and ability to design buildings and homes. I would spend some time having my own restaurant and being a top chef. I would also have made a few clothing lines and hand bags. Not in this lifetime probably.

At least some creative juices are starting to seep out of me, I have some drawings going and am fiddling with objects for clocks and other new ideas. I like having two or three things going on at once, dipping into them until one of them takes a strong hold and I can run with it. More house visitors this weekend so the my attitude will be tested.

14 comments:

Steve Kane said...

Personally, I love that puzzle head of yours and think you should have no qualms about putting it out there.

Daniel Sroka said...

You said: Still not quite sure if I want to put this piece out there yet, it was my first attempt at creating a free standing puzzle sculpture, I wonder could I do better, more etc.

Don't forget what Ted and David say in Art & Fear. Your goal should be that feeling that you could do better. It is a signal that you are continually growing in your skills. If you don't feel you can do better, you are not pushing yourself hard enough.

Chelle said...

I really like this piece. I do like the metal base although I do have to admit to liking the rough wood one as well.

As for being unsure about putting the piece out there, I think every so often you have to put yourself out there. Yes, you can probably do better, but you could spend your whole life trying to do better.

self taught artist said...

I like the rough wood too but the other 2 people looking with me thought it drowned out the piece.

thanks for your thoughts you guys, thanks for the reminder dan!

the gallery has more new artists and things are even more out there and wonderful. this gallery is not the typical vermont gallery. funny, the minute i was going to say i just want to be taken seriously (my art in the gallery) I realized how pompous that sounds.

I have a little over a week to finish my 2nd head, so we'll see :)

Shelby said...

Reflective but hopeful post - I sense more excitedness in you lately :)

Mary said...

Terrific piece, Paula! Whether this piece is good enough for exhibition and whether it is the best you can do are two very different questions. Of course it's not the best you can do; you learned things doing this one that will make the next one even better.

Mary

Daphne said...

Hi there.

Here are my thoughts as a designer: the metal stand that you favor is on the thin side in terms of scale. The second stand has the best scale although the fourth isn't that out of scale either and the wood is beautiful with your sculpture.

self taught artist said...

thanks mary...I'm hearing you guys i'm hearing ya :)

daphne, interesting, now that you pointed it out about the metal table. perhaps if it were fatter then...I like the wood too but somehow in real life it all looked a little too doggedy dog scrappy. I felt that the sec. stand is too tall. the gallery says it's best I have one so the person buying the sculpture doesn't have to look for one and knows how it will look. I'm not sure it is smart for me to spend the money on one right now, I honestly can't see this piece selling there in the few months it will be there. tricky time of year with fall foilage not here yet.

Karen said...

My two cents worth.. the metal stand is a bit small of scale for the head. The photograph of the wooden stand has it looking very good.Perhaps in real life it looks less stellar. Now if you could fanagle a solid metal stand that would rock.Now for not thinking it is ready for the public...well. pfffttt. It is. You are. You go girl!

Daphne said...

Don't you have any beautiful scrap metal just screaming to be made into a stand????

I'm not sure that people will feel a need to buy a stand too. It will raise the price tag for the buyer and besides, who says they don't want it on their fire place mantel or something.

Your gallery folks sound like they over-complicate things...

self taught artist said...

I might have a few things but I need to get the work in to them within the week...not enough time to figure it out and have my welder make something, not sure I could afford it right now either.
the gallery sells a fair amount of sculptures so I guess that is why they prefer I have my own stand. It seems like a fun thing to have made and do when there isn't time and money constraints.

Clare said...

Hi Self Taught! I just had an idea for a stand for the puzzle head, but it might be kind of out there. What about using a bunch of puzzle boxes (if you've got them hanging around) and stacking them -- weighting them with something kind of heavy so it won't tip over. The colors of the different boxes might be kind of nice. Otherwise, I agree with Daphne that the metal stand looks a little thin. The other 3 stands would work fine. The third and fourth ones you showed are my favorite. I hope you've had a nice weekend.
:)

self taught artist said...

Clare, WOW. What an idea. Thank you for that...I feel sick, I had about 300 puzzle boxes from all the puzzles I've gotten and last winter I realized I would probably never make my strange art installation out of those boxes and recycled them all. I like the idea, man...I might have to go buy a bunch of puzzles for the boxes...of course the base for the head is wicked heavy already and that might be another challenge.
you got me thinking......thank you!!!!! If not this one maybe the next one eh?

kate said...

I like Clare's idea of puzzle boxes... too bad we didn't live closer since I have a bunch of them downstairs. My parents have a wall filled with old puzzles. Some of the boxes are falling apart with age.

I think it's great that the puzzle head will be in this exhibition. Your life mentor was right ... you are an artist!