9/17/07

untitled unfinished

I've decided to post what I've been working on (below the photo has a horrid white balance ignore the pinkish white). I need to put a little more pressure on myself because I'm still not in that zone of gettin jiggy with it. It has taken me months to even know what to mount this photograph on and more time than you'd believe figuring out the general placement of things. The last challenge, the biggest one, is the bottom third screen. I have a general idea of what I am going to do down there but I keep coming up against tool issues and the general mechanics of the assemblages I aim to procure. Lots of dead ends. Dead brain. I thought if I posted this it would wake me up a bit.

This is another photograph taken last November in Upstate NY. The Jersey Barrier shoot. I totally see a hand, especially a large index finger (with fingernail showing) pointing that-a-way---->. This is obviously a very abstract picture, it has also been a brain twister figuring out how to blend the mixed media with it. Believe it or not this is taking on an Asian Zen feel and I'm pretty sure I'm going for some Chinese Characters written on flashing with an industrial white marker. Still stuck on the 'bauble' part. We will see....I still have a few days to get it done if I want to submit to the upcoming opening. More strange art that I doubt many 'get', but hey it's what I like doing. Oh, I have Tod to thank for the window screen, he found it at the dump last year and brought it home wondering if I could do anything with it. I love it when friends find objects and give them to me, it's better than a gift wrapped store bought present!

9 comments:

Princess Banter said...

Agreed!!! The best presents that I get are those that aren't bought from the stores :) Because it's usually well thought of and carefully put together.

Sera Strawbridge said...

Hey, thank you for the comment =) I like your site too! and I hope you don't mind if I add you to my blogroll. Always on the lookout for fellow artists to mingle with .. awesome work you have!

Nellie's Needles said...

Just maybe you're having a struggle because it doesn't need anything in the bottom panel. The texture of the screen and the effect of light and shadows on the wall works from what I can see in your photos

sarala said...

I like the use/reuse of the screen. It is a great accompaniment to the screen. I've see art done on old windows but never on a screen before. Cool!

BlueJude said...

OK ya got me hooked! I wanna see how it ends up. So start gettin JIGGY! lol

self taught artist said...

sera, thanks for the blogroll, i'll get you on mind too
nellie, it beckons me to put something there...just wait, it will come.
blue, i'm gettin jiggy diggy wiggy with it

Clare said...

Hi Self Taught! The screen is really nice -- I like the color and the divisions/sections in it. I like the narrow middle part and what you put in that. The blue and white in the top looks really cool! So far it's all got a really neat feeling that evokes for me: air, breeze, blue sky, white clouds, lightness, nature, water, inside and outside together. I can totally see and feel the Asian Zen thing. And I can see the index finger too -- and a face with sunglasses!
:)

self taught artist said...

clare, i saw the dude w/ sunglasses too but thought that would be pushing it if i mentioned it :) good eye!!!!!!!!!!!!

kate said...

Cool, cool screen. I am curious as to where you go with it ... I might find out in the next post I read.

It is good the enthusiasm seeping back in and to know that you are getting back to doing something that you love.

The blue peeling paint is wonderful. I love it.