9/3/07

la la la

I am pleased to say I had a great night/day away. Unexpected to be sure. I slept poorly and my lower back is still 'out' from sleeping on a foreign bed, but you know what? it was worth it. Tod went with and I forgot to bring paper to draw on and I didn't care. Where I house sat for the night was even more in the boonies than where I care take and they had the coolest dog ever. A sheep herder dog that took us on a hike. We just followed him and walked for over an hour on a totally secluded remote mountain. He led us as if on a mission. Just when I was sure we were lost we came right back to where we had started.

Once back to their farm house we got out a blanket and just laid there in a daze, the sun gluing us down, pressing our eyes shut and boiling all thoughts away. We brought goodies to sup on and went for an evening stroll with the amazing dog Woody and then read and went to bed. Yesterday we went back to the place I had seen the big round ring in front of a garage. The guy was there this time and sold it to me after the usual Vermont banter; I think I have about 16 of them...which now pushes me to focus on getting an SLR camera as opposed to my point and shoot Olympus 8080.

The camera stuff is yet another learning curve that usually boggles my mind more often than not. Tod and I are a good fit, he understands the technical stuff on things and I believe it or not can do things he cannot...such as hammer dead on center a nail swift as you can say gotcha. Sometimes I think our two brains make one perfectly functioning one. I have to give him much credit for helping me figure things out, he explains how to use the tools I buy ~ I never really understand but once he shows me I get it regardless of if I have a clue what I am doing. The camera thing is a little tricky, if I were just printing 11 x 14's or 12 x 18's I'd be fine with what I have but I feel a pull to up the ante yet again and now that I have a high quality tripod the next obvious step is a more professional camera. If I want to make larger prints, larger mixed media pieces...I need better tools. I will spare you the details but suffice to say between the printer, my monitor, two photo editing software tools and dealing with RAW vs TIFF, my brain feels spectacularly displaced.

I have already conceded that I probably wont have new works for the Oct. 6 show at the gallery, unless of course I can finish my two puzzle sculptures and get my welder to help mount them and contact his friend who has access to beautiful wood bases for the sculptures to stand on. Then I have to assume/hope the gallery would accept them. It has been awhile since I have pushed myself and tomorrow I believe 'they' leave and the house will be filled only with the basement care takers (me and tod). I have a several different ideas going on about mixed media/clocks/and puzzle assemblages...I feel like a bull in a pen ready to charge...thank god summer is over and everyone is going home!

7 comments:

Daphne said...

Sounds like an amazing break/holiday.

And it sounds like "self taught artist" is back!

Have you every thought of a didn't way of printing your photos? There is a method in which you apply clear acrylic paint onto a computer print of a photo and then once it's dry you remove the paper by wetting it. The clear piece of acrylic absorbs the ink. I've been meaning to try it myself but I guess I'm saving it for a time when I'm ready for another approach to add on. Anyway, it would be neat to see it on your 3 dimensional work...and of course it's cheap.

Daphne said...

I didn't mean to say "didn't way". I meant different way. Oops, I have a habit of using words that sound like the ones I meant to use. Probably some sort of learning disability...

BlueJude said...

Cool Beans on your break! AND you have an award waiting for you! Go by my blog and check it out!

Bob Johnson said...

I love your work, my wife does stuff like you, she's very crafty you'd do very well in our gallery at the mall, people here eat that stuff up. I'm getting one of my Lunar eclipse photos blown up to a 36x24, I've done a 36x24 before with one of my moon pics it was awesome even though it was only 2 MP. Go for the digital SLR, my daughter has a Nikkon D200 DSLR its great, she took a 2 year photo journalism course, she loves taking pics, and so do I, thats why I am so interested in Photo blogs.

self taught artist said...

hey daphne, thanks for the verve!!! I'm not quite back, lots to do at the house now and I'm still stymied with my 'tools' and direction.

Bob J. thanks for the compliment! good to know about the camera, I hear you have to be a brain to really understand how to use those cameras....we will see. Gotta sell the work to get the camera :) It is impressive you could blow the pics up so big based on the size of the camera...I think my close up shots are what does me in.

self taught artist said...

and thanks blue jude for the award, bob j gave me one too the other day, I'm being lax :(

Clare said...

Hi Self Taught! Your time away in the boonies sounds like it was heaven, despite the bed. But how cool to take a hike guided by a big sheep herder dog. I love the idea of putting trust in him and letting yourself journey and then be brought back to the house. It gives me a kind of shamanic feeling. And it's great that you and Tod are such a good fit and that he can help with the camera equipment stuff. Have a great week.
:)