9/29/07

back to life

A week ago Sunday I went over to my friend's for a visit and she told me about an old house down the way that was being gutted by the town for a make over. She said there was a big wood pile for burning I should check out. I was alone, Tod was the one under the weather last weekend, and I tried to get this in my car but it wouldn't quite fit since there was a long board screwed to one of the hinges. I didn't have any tools with me and to my chagrin I had to gingerly lift it out of the back of my hatchback and leave it.

Towards the end of the day Tod was feeling better and needed some air, I knew just where to take him. Screwdriver in hand, we went back. Two workers (so they say) were on the second floor, sitting near a glassless window. I asked if we could get some wood from the pile and they said sure. So here it is, a beautiful old door, not full length, probably more for a shed. I've never restored wood if that's even what you do. I would like to bring out the natural color and beauty of this wood and let it sit, waiting for however long it takes for me to come back to it with the perfect mixed media assemblage to mount onto it.

I've got a lot going on this week, hanging work for a Burlington gig, a job interview (yes I really did look at the want ads when I screwed up the puzzle sculpture and I really applied for a job as a personal assistant), two openings with my work in both and sitting two shifts at the co-op art gallery. House people supposedly coming and I've got to get all my new saws in the garage put somewhere innocuous. Wouldn't want to look like I'm taking over the house/garage that isn't mine!

Tonight is the first I've felt good all week and I did manage to deal with the puzzle screw up, get it anchored in cement and hopefully by tomorrow I can figure out how to make the bottom of the piece 'clean' and not scratchy. As is my self taught want, I take myself to new places and deal with the consequences after the fact. In retrospect I always berate my stupidity for not knowing I would have to deal with the then obvious obstacles. I've already told the gallery I have it to bring in tomorrow and I haven't figured out an important albeit invisible technical issue. I will try to be easy on myself as I have never made a sculpture before and I was more worried about the cement than anything else. Regardless of if they like it, or show it, this piece has been another push towards growth.

8 comments:

Clare said...

Hi Self Taught! I really like the wood in the door -- and the hinges look cool too -- it's great it was still there when you went back to find it. I really hope your job interview and the art openings go great. I will send lots of good energy your way.
:)

gigi_leonard said...

it's always funny to me when someone's cast off is another person's treasure. i LOVE that door and how serendipitous that it was still there waiting for you when you went back. i am looking forward to seeing what you create with it.

if at anytime next week you start to stress because it is so jam packed with stuff to do, please refer to the last 2 sentences of your post. even if you think you're not moving or evolving, you usually are. :)

Steve Kane said...

That's the great thing about art: when we think we have screwed up all we have done is create an opportunity to finding a creative solution for the situation. Sometimes "mistakes" lead to the most interesting results that may never have occurred to us in the first place.

Relish your mistakes!

self taught artist said...

relish my mistakes he says. :)
so true, how many times do you have to go through all that squirming to inch up enough to see you made it????

thanks for the good thoughts/reminds and sendage of energy. you guys are good peeps

Shelby said...

you found great treasure!!

p.s. I have a real life video posted today.. come see! :)

Daphne said...

Sounds like your getting a good creative rhythm going again. I'm looking forward to your next post.

Parisian Cowboy said...

That's something of a discovery !!!

sarala said...

I love the door. I can't wait to see what you make of it.
Still haven't taken the photo I owe you. I haven't forgotten, though.