8/10/07

First Friday Art Walk


Yesterday I went to B-town to meet with the manager of tribeca clothing store. I answered an ad in the paper a few months ago for 'seeking artists'. Turns out they are rather new to being part of the First Friday Art Walk that takes place in Burlington. The energy is good there and I'm happy to be a part of it.

She liked my mixed media work, so October will be my month. Its a great place, small, hip, and industrial. The shop is part of all the others that line up on an outdoor brick mall type setting. A place where pedestrians eat, walk, hang out etc. I'm looking forward to seeing my stuff in such a sleek building. It's where I've fantasized my art hanging...on beautifully colored walls mixed with old brick. Ironic it is a clothing store since I'm one of the worst dressed people on the planet. (believe me 'what not to wear people' would probably refuse to deal with me)

It's something different to do. They do the advertising, have the food available, and don't take a commission. It's worth trying despite my unwavering belief that no one buys art in Burlington unless its inexpensive. I would love to be proven wrong!

8 comments:

Daphne said...

It sounds perfect. Will there be labels with info. under each piece so people will know that they're for sale?

Daphne said...

oops I just read about the art walk and see that there will be plenty of promotion during the tour. It sounds like a really amazing opportunity.

Since when is there NO commission?

self taught artist said...

not on the wall no, unfortunately the only negative thing about this is the pieces are going to be up higher than eye level. By dint of it being the art walk, people will know its for sale and I'll have artist info on the wall near the door. hopefully they will point it out to anyone who shows interest the rest of the month.

Shelby said...

Sounds like a great opportunity!!
Take care :)

Daphne said...

Maybe higher that I level is good. I generally look straight through a store before I even walk in...

Misplaced said...

Wow! I've been out of the loop latey- excellent news- sounds like a great place for a show

Chelle said...

The first piece of art I bought, a print by Sabra Field, was in Burlington. It wasn't all that expensive, but on the salary I was making at the time it's $200+ price tag was a challenge. I agonized over that purchase but when I went back to look at it for the fourth or fifth time my very intelligent wife insisted I buy it.

Here's hoping that someone will fall in love with your work.

self taught artist said...

chelle, thats awesome, thanks for sharing that!!!!