7/12/07

Wall




This is a wall I spotted behind an industrial building. This was like a back shed area and made out of wood. I love how this looks like strange microscopic beings or peacock feathers minus their brilliant color.

I've loved the feedback on the photography I've posted this week, it has got me wondering though, who buys photography like this as a stand alone picture? Feels fun to post these and just enjoy them but then the business brain tries to figure out what to do with it. I know some of these are going to be great mixed media assemblages but I have yet to sell many stand alone prints. Seems the photography market is pretty over saturated and unless you find a niche for yourself like Daniel Sroka what do you do with photography?
All I know is right now I feel addicted to it and I'm gonna try to get out there and take more. My roommate has lots of taxi driving to do this week, so I'm on my own. Rain, mud and creepiness are mine to conquer.

6 comments:

Daphne said...

You read my thoughts. Who buys prints of this type of photography?

My plan was to incorporate it into my paintings. But have I?

No...

In the meantime I think that I will print a few and hang them in my own house. The reason that I haven't yet is because I was certain that I needed to do more with them before I could say they were complete....

Daphne said...

By the way, if I had the money I would buy your triptych from 2005. I love it.

Shelby said...

wow - I really do like these very much!! You go girl!! love love love.. happy day :)

self taught artist said...

thank you daphne, I love hearing you'd buy that piece if you had the bucks, as I said below, I am always open to offers :) but I think from your blog you have plenty going on and no room for art yeah? Oh well ....

Daphne said...

Yes, my hands are full and my wallet less so.

Maybe in a year...

Nellie's Needles said...

Your combination of photos with sculpture is unique ... AND it's yours. I may be limited in exposure to what all is out there, but I associate this combo with your vision of art.

My brother-in-law sells framed photos in a gallery in Memphis. His focus is microscropic and they appear as if they could be paintings. They are very good and sell well. However, I believe part of the appeal for his work is that he's a big-time lawyer. It hardly seems fair that he sells well when it's such a struggle for so many others who do nothing but make art and are need of funds. Who said life is fair?