7/5/07

day at the co-op


I feel a slight embarrassment to show the pictures of my day sitting at the gallery. It's really a tiny hole in the wall and when I think of my work in the stellar gallery I am in and compare the two I wonder what was I thinking? I guess I feel, as one artist pointed out in a more eloquent way than I am going to, I have to pay my dues. It is experience. It is more doing of something that I don't believe is going to really behoove me but until I know what else to do I feel like what the hell.

It was a very long day. I sat at a little table and looked out through the screen door all day. From 11-5. About 5 people came in total. In and out. One NY couple came in and specifically wanted a 'cheap' watercolor and went on about how expensive it is in Stowe and someone steered them here. Hemming and hawing all for naught. Thank god I brought my new puzzle sculpture to work on. Yes, I glued puzzle pieces non stop the entire time. A head has yet to form, it is in 'large lollipop' mode.

At least I was left alone and didn't have to get panicky. At least I got to sit. I took a picture of the stairs, every 20 min. or so I would run up and down them and upstairs and run in a circle. I used the portapotty once and just suffered the rest of the day. I am totally repulsed by most toilets, don't ask why, it's one of those things.

Thanks to another blog reader I sold another clock! At this rate I am going to be able to finish that limited edition collection sooner than later. I have to catch up with Nellie, I think she has passed me up on the 100 Edition Series.

8 comments:

Daniel Sroka said...

I used to belong to a co-op gallery. It was a great place, filled with great artists. But wow, on work day, the day would just drag on. We knew that 90% of our sales came from opening nights for new shows, and often contemplated just closing the doors the rest of the time.

BlueJude said...

I think it looks kinda cool! Except for the porta potty thing. Congrats on the clock sale. I love those clocks. And btw...who the heck asks for a "cheap watercolor"? What kind of criteria is that when buying art. Hmmmm....
Happy Friday!

self taught artist said...

dan
Interesting, they had their opening night and sold one painting, that was their only income so far. Guess co-ops aren't really like normal galleries, I had no clue.
bluejude
apparantly cheap watercolor is something that costs less than $100.

Tori said...

The gallery looks great!
You make me long for my Vermont!!!
I can't wait to see pictures of the puzzle sculpture.
Be Well!!!

Princess Banter said...

I woulda loved to enter that art gallery because it looks different from all the other stuffy and pompous art galleries I've been to before... and truly, paying one's dues is something we all go through. Keep it up, darling! You'll get there :) I admire you for having the bravery...

self taught artist said...

it is quaint isn't it. thanks you guys for reminding me, believe me I wouldn't want 'pomp'.
And the artists, though I haven't met them all, from what I hear are great people. Fine line between being really appreciative and making good use of my time while knowing the best place to show art.

Nellie's Needles said...

If I were to "stumble" upon this gallery, I would feel as though a treasure had been "discovered" ... especially your pieces.

I'm behind in blogging about the last 2 pieces in my 100 Lake series. I'm up to 33. Aren't you up to 40+ clocks?

self taught artist said...

nellie, I ran out at 42 and am happy to say I'm having 10 more plates welded so I will be back in business soon.
I've been thinking a lot about this 'quaint' gallery and how I can see that to you guys it looks that way. Perhaps the thing that triggers me is most of it is all the same stuff...the same watercolors of the same things over and over. I guess the building is fine, dare I say I'm judging the art? It's the sort of place people walk into and leave in less than five minutes. god help me if I sound judgemental or superior.