6/3/07

Sunday Scribblings: Town and Country #62

Grew up in a smallish town. Good for a kid on some levels, but horrid on others. I felt sheltered from the world and grew up totally ignorant about life and culture. I've been backpedalling my whole life trying to catch up.

Moved to a huge city soon as I was old enough to get the heck out of dodge. Good for a young adult on some levels but horrid on others. I got exposed to more but never felt like I 'fit' in. I had a small city mind. I was naive. Is it the city or the parents? Or life experiences? Or all of the above?

I once again live in a small town. VERY small. No stoplights small. I feel safer here but its harder here on some level. You have to have a car to get anywhere and getting one thing done that could take no time at all in the big city can take twice as long if not all day. As an artist it feels great to make art in an atmosphere of beauty and quiet, but since its a small area trying to sell the art becomes a mathematical koan.

I think people on an unconscious level get drawn to things in life. To people, locations. There is energy wafting around out there that we cannot see, and like the aroma of a delicious meal, we are drawn to those situations or people to get the nutrients in life that will carry us on or build us up in order to experience the next thing. Stop and think about what led you to where you are now, I'm sure many people are living in places they never imagined they would but one day they landed there and that's where they 'took'. The food, the terrain, the weather and yes, the people...all have a collective energetic field that either draw us in or repel us so we move onward. (I think I ended this awkwardly...kind of had two things going on at once, so forgive my straying)

Sunday Scribblings #62

6 comments:

arboleda said...

you are right ..sometimes we live like strangers in our own place...

gautami tripathy said...

One has to keep ones mind open for any kind of experience. Only thn we can imbibe the best of any place. Leaving out the worst.

Rethabile said...

I envy the fact that you live in a small town. You can always use a scooter or a bicycle to get around. Real estate is usually cheaper. You don't breathe poison. You probably have a house, not a flat. Yoyu say "hello" to your neighbours. The reasons for preferring the country are endless, according to me.

Self Taught Artist said...

rethabile, not that you'll come back to read this but no scooter or bike here, I live on a mountain road. No neighbors to say hi to.
Funny when I lived in Arizona in the heart of 5 million people I had a house, neighbors to say hi to and could bike around. Not here.
but yes, clean air for sure, but I go outside less I think than I did in the city! go figure.

Crafty Green Poet said...

I like your comment about the places where we 'take'. I came to Edinburgh to study, have gone away a couple of times but always came back - yes I've definitely taken here!

Molly said...

Nicely put!