6/15/07

The Piece

Barring needing the bicycle chain welded to make it stiff and mountable, I am now 85% done with the commissioned piece. I've been looking at the photos I took of the possible ways this could go and it surprises me that I actually came up with what I did. I'm really feeling satisfied and even excited about it. I can't imagine my client not liking it, and that's saying a lot for me oh doubter that I am.

This is the 2nd piece I have ever been asked to make for someone. The first piece was a year ago last Christmas and it was a RR Plate to hang outside for a newly purchased home for my friend back in Arizona (see photo). It was a breeze in comparison, partly because she sent me the exterior paint that was used on the house and I was able to incorporate that into the piece; also it was only 6" x 10". Curiously, it too has Chinese Symbols on it.

The metal smith is out of town until next week and unless I can use someone else on short notice, or can figure out a nut and bolt way to affix the chain, the piece will be on hold until next week. In the meantime I can finish up the other stuff. I don't think I am going to name it anything. It feels nameless. I wonder if artists ever make work for people and do that? Sometimes a name seems rather silly, it is what it is. They can call it whatever they want ~ unless of course they don't want it, and then I can call it something reflective of the then perceived debacle.

2 comments:

sarala said...

The Chinese piece is one of my favorites of yours. What does it say?
Glad you are near done on the commission. I know it gave you some bad moments.

self taught artist said...

It is the Chinese Symbol for 'Peace' ~ thanks for the feedback and whoo hoo you are back!!