6/18/07

nameless new piece




I still need to wipe off the chalk that I used to outline the characters and paint one last coat, but its done! The woman comes to town on Fri. so I will know then if I've pleased her. The biggest challenge was she wanted old rusty bike parts. I found most of the bikes at the dump but did have to order 242 bike spokes on ebay. They were old and perfect. The chains are from the bikes and the middle, what I call the 'time capsule' is filled with unique parts from very old bikes I found. I bent the metal flashing and stuffed it with almost 400 spokes.

The bottom Chinese characters are 'Peace' and the universal symbol for 'Good Luck'. The top characters are his astrological sign. (its a birthday present for her husband) I have to admit I wanted to quit several times and this has been a huge learning lesson for me on many levels. It is my first outdoor piece and I really really like it!

6 comments:

KJ said...

Well done! I find my favs are the ones I've struggled with the most... and in turn, they've surprised me with new heights or broken ground... whatever. I usually name commissions with the owner's name or location. Gives me an immediate identity when I come across the info in my data base at a later time. KJ

self taught artist said...

so when you give them the piece do you tell them it has no name?

Mary said...

It's a very cool piece--congratulations!

KJ said...

No, they are usually quite proud to know the title is "Smith's Landscape" or "Johnson's Assemblage."

self taught artist said...

thanks for the tip! I had no idea ~ its a cool way to handle the naming conundrum.

sarala said...

Awesome. Glad you made it. Pun intended.