6/21/07

how to get happy

Quit a job that makes you squirm.

To some, I would look like a quitter. If that were true, I wouldn't have all the art made that I have. I realized this morning that the burden of going in to work supersedes the financial one at this time. I don't need much to live on and by god I'm just going to keep plowing through a bit longer. To the taxi co.'s credit, they said come on back in if I ever change my mind. I found that gracious and unbelievable ( exclaimed really? and they said yes). I just can't bring myself to abandon my art just yet. And for me, it would mean abandoning my art because I know myself well enough to know I cannot be distracted anymore than I already am in order to create.

When I mentioned to the gallery that I might need to get a job soon he told me I should try to get a job that didn't take too much out of me because I was reaching a good flow with my art and now is the time to push harder. I'm gonna push harder. I know that by saying no to a job doesn't let me off the hook to work hard. In fact, I have to work as hard if not more so regardless of no paycheck. I just have to believe that if I take NO pleasure whatsoever in something that by letting it go I am not losing the only opportunity I will ever have. There is still the teaching possibility a few days a week for the River Arts. That appeals to me because at least it has to do with art and I know the day or two and time I would be needed.

3 comments:

Clare said...

Hi! You make total sense about leaving the job that makes you unhappy and takes away from your time to create. You most definitely do not sound like a 'quitter.' Quitting a job is not the same as being a quitter. Don't even worry about that. Your art is incredible and deserves as much time as you can give it because of your phenomenal talent.
:)

Tori said...

I applaud you for following your heart and your dreams. The universe opens up to you when you proceed with passion and YOU are doing this. I am inspired by you!

sarala said...

Go girl, feel proud to be a quitter! Sometimes you need to quit when you are ahead. I've quit two hopeless jobs and am much happier for it but also feel like I can tough things out when it is required.
Art rules.