6/25/07

Artists Co-op

So today I joined a nearby co-op, The Jacob Walker Art Gallery in Morristown, VT. It was a last minute thing as someone dropped out and another artist friend who just joined alerted me of the available slot. I took it even though all the other art in this small two story building is all paintings. I'm slapping my Metal Art on the walls. The art in the Gallery is priced no more than $500 so I thought they would bode well since they range from like $109-229. It cost me $60 to join and they take 10% of sales. I am encouraged to put in new works at the beginning of each month. Sounds easy enough and a little more relaxed than the usual gallery dealings.

And I, misanthrope that I am, am looking forward to working the four days out of the near four months the gallery is open for the season. I'll be alerted later on when I'm to be the guardian of the art. I'd much rather do that than what?....(me imagining you all chiming in) "driving a cab". I will gladly make small talk about the art. Sweat to death in a windowless wood building. Pee in a portatoilet. You betcha. I will be enthusiastic about the watercolors and typical Vermont art that is in this Gallery. I will aim to heroically sell as much art as I possibly can for us all. (crowd roaring in the background) Now my work is in three places, at least the basement (aka my studio) will be emptied out a bit and I can pretend it's sold.

Anyone else ever do the co-op thing? Care to share go for it....

5 comments:

Tori said...

Do you know of Hartland Vermont?

That is where I lived for 5 years prior to moving here.

Just wondering...:)

self taught artist said...

been by it when I've gone to ascutney scrap yard but can't say I've stopped there :)

Shelby said...

the coop sounds like a fabulous thing for you!!

KJ said...

Every artist who steps on every rung of the ladder has to pause for at least a moment on the co-op rung. Those artists may or may not move on, depends on many things which you can and will figure out. Hope it's a big success, but also hope other venues open for you. I like your attitude! KJ

self taught artist said...

I think this will be a breeze, only four days work in the short 4 month season. Lots of older women and its Vermont...people are different here ;) Not thinking art will sell there, its really dinky and in a poor area, but you never know and its exposure. One rung, let go and grab the next....