3/1/07

artsy fartsy

last night I started reading this little book by david lynch 'catching the big fish' . (thanks for sending the book, you know who you are!) I am not a fan of his movies, I was disturbed by 'eraserhead' and 'blue velvet' but that's just me. This book is about meditation, consciousness, and creativity and the chapters are really just 1-2 page profundities of his. He is talking about creating and one chapter is called 'Interpretation'. He brings up an excellent point about people saying they don't understand music but that most people experience music emotionally and would agree that music is an abstraction. He says, ' you don't need to put music into words right away - you just listen'. He goes on to compare cinema the same way. I of course was thinking about how everyone seems to say to me when it comes to giving an opinion about my art, "well, I'm not artsy fartsy', or "I don't know anything about art". WELL WHO DOES? Unless you are an art history major, who does? What does that really mean anyhow? I feel like screaming back, 'well I don't know anything about art either!".

I guess my point is, what you think about art is all that matters. How it resonates with you. Art isn't something you are supposed to look at and have some verbal response to. All the art critics out there who love to go on and on ad nauseam about what IT is and what IT means...I think they have intimated the hell out of us all. As usual, lets just all talk about something to the point of over shadowing the actual thing that doesn't need our words. It just is.

Next time you look at art, be it alone or in front of the biggest art mogul in the world, remember this, you don't need to say a word. And you don't need to know about the masters ...ie. the founding fathers of art. You don't need to have something witty or grandiose to point or ponder.
You either like it or ya don't. The only word of caution I have about art is, and I am guilty of this too, is give it a chance. Sometimes we take it in real fast and make an immediate judgement. Art isn't something you need to make a snap judgement about, although when you really like something you know it immediately....but sometimes you need to come back to it. To think about it a little. Let it speak to you. There are many works out there I can appreciate and like but would not want even if you gave them to me. The more you look at art the more you can appreciate aspects of a certain piece. To contradict myself, you can learn more about art just by seeing more. Thinking about how objects and techniques are used. You can get to know something about art just by exposing yourself to more of it. It isn't a secret society, its expression!

I could go on and on. But I'm trying to have a few posts that aren't so long believe it or not!

3 comments:

Nellie Bass Durand said...

Yeah! Looking and really seeing is what's important. Oh, yes ... keeping yourself open and aware of the feelings invoked by the interaction.

sue said...

The irony is, you WRITE ABOUT art and the creative process so well! Your last sentence is a keeper I think and what I have been trying to formulate for a long time, "art isn't a secret society, it's expression! Again, the theme: "a poem should not mean, but be."
I read once, that in Bali, every one is an artist, it is part of their expression of life. And, thanks for the thoughtful response to the ideas in lynch book.

Anonymous said...

The irony is, you WRITE ABOUT art and the creative process so well! Your last sentence is a keeper I think and what I have been trying to formulate for a long time, "art isn't a secret society, it's expression! Again, the theme: "a poem should not mean, but be."
I read once, that in Bali, every one is an artist, it is part of their expression of life. And, thanks for the thoughtful response to the ideas in lynch book.